Author Topic: Please advise  (Read 1856 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Please advise
« on: August 16, 2020, 05:09:41 am »
I have just moved into a very expensive state of the art new build in central London
The hot water and heating and cooling system is centrally provided - or so it states in the building specs and welcome pack
Much to my surprise I discovered that the hot water to the kitchen sink is provided by a small under sink electric boiler. This is noisy, requires maintenance and works out more expensive to run and maintain. In addition the hot water runs out as the reservoir is small.
Is this acceptable?   Any advice would be welcome

New Home Expert

  • Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1410
  • Country: england
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Please advise
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 12:43:40 pm »
What you describe is district heating, that is, all heating and hot water is provided from a central source on the development for every home.  I cannot understand why your kitchen sink is not connected and can only presume they made an error and late on this was their bodge solution.

Note you will be paying the same for hot water as you would if the sink was connected so you are paying twice.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: 00
Re: Please advise
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 12:53:28 pm »
Hey Ialarsin

Sounds like somebody messed up.  The kitchen should definitely be plumbed into the central source.