Author Topic: Clerk of works permission  (Read 1718 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Clerk of works permission
« on: February 05, 2017, 10:12:08 am »
I am buying a new apartment in Scotland and this is a renovation and conversion from a former hotel which is a listed building.
I want to appoint a clerk of works to go in a check my flat during construction as I will be making stage payments.
I have also been reading about warranty problems so I would like to avoid this in my flat.
I have found an experienced man but the builder says it is not necessary and is blocking him from going on site.
Any advice on how I can get over this problem and get my man on site?

New Home Expert

  • Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1061
  • Country: england
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Clerk of works permission
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:37:36 am »
You should be able to get whoever you like to inspect the works.
The builder will claim you cannot on  health and safety grounds.
As it is a listed building it will also need inspecting by an official during the works too.

My advice would be to avoid this at all costs as it will unlikely to have an NHBC warranty.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector