'"> ');

Author Topic: Bay window tolerances  (Read 11761 times)

Chris

Bay window tolerances
« on: December 05, 2016, 07:13:37 pm »
I've just had a lady out to measure for blinds in my bay window.
It's a four window bay the two middle are the same size and there are one window either side that should be equal but after messuring one of the smaller windows is 30mm different, so is this an exceptable tolerance as it seems quite a larger amount to me?
Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Bay window tolerances
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:31:00 am »
It would depend to some extent on whether it is a square bay or a splayed bay.

30mm difference in a square bay is totally unacceptable as the whole frame (and bay roof) will be out of line with the walls of the house.
The same difference on a splayed bay may be less obvious only if it is taken up with the angle of the splay.

But I doubt it is the window actual size that is smaller. It is more likely to be the distance between the wall and window that was measured so the difference is due to drylining.

As for whether this is acceptable I would suggest that it is evidence of poor workmanship and a general lack of care. It could be corrected but as it's Harron Homes, it might be along battle!
No streetlights for a  year on Harron Homes site
Harron Homes fined for noise from a site at 2am
Buyer's experience of Harron Homes
No doubt Harron will claim its within tolerance you should read the NHBC's  "A consistent approach to finishes" which would indicate a maximum of 5mm is allowable at window reveals.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:02:48 pm »
Hi thanks for the reply. It's a splayed bay window that's divided into four sections, the two central sections seem equal, the right hand glass is 270mm and the left hand glass is 240mm. They are both opening windows and the frames around the glass are the same size.

Chris

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:12:34 pm »
A couple of photos ,hope this makes more sense

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:44 am »
I have never come across this.
The glass really is bigger on one side than the other, meaning so the whole window would need to be remade.
Or worse, the front of the frame is out of line with the walls of the house.

The smaller glass is over10% less than the glass on the other side and at 270mm isn't that big by normal standards either. The glass on my splayed bay windows are both 470mm but do not open.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Chris

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 03:05:26 pm »
I asked the site manager and he said it's fine it's not unusual.
I mentioned that I'm having blinds fitted he said I won't be able to notice.
The 30mm seems a lot me but I'm far from being an expert. As far as I can tell the the windows are in proportion to the wall base so I'm guessing the it's the brickies that have built it wrong?
It got me wondering if anything else was out so I had a quick run around with tape measure, one of the internal doors that sticks a little, the frame is 10mm closer to the ceiling at one side than the other?
Seems a lot to be out as well?
Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 10:25:18 am »
There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile;
He bought a crooked cat which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.

So across a maximum door opening of 900mm the head is 10mm out of level.
(or the ceiling is or the architrave is)
The maximum allowable using the NHBC "A Consistent Approach to Finishes" is 5mm!
(See the link in my earlier reply)

For the window glass to be 30mm smaller one side to the other is most certainly not "fine" and whilst it may be "not unusual" on this Harron Homes site, it is very unusual generally.

Who is the site manager?  Tom Jones by any chance?

Chris

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 05:05:36 pm »
Thanks for the help. I've got another question about my bay window :-\
Should it be centred on the internal wall? And the straight vertical plastered wall edge is 15mm out from top to bottom I'm guessing this is very poor too?

Chris

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 05:08:34 pm »
Don't know if you can make it out from the pic but the left hand side is bigger and the wall line is bowed
Thank

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 08:04:47 am »
It is not uncommon for windows not to be centralised in a room.
Most times this is so they line up or a are centralised when viewed from outside.

But the bow on the left hand side is disgraceful.
Quite how no one on that site thought it should be re done I don't know.
It might explain why your left hand window is 30mm smaller than the right too!
Even 'Tom Jones' the site manager would struggle to tell you that is not unusual.

If I were you I would get the house professionally snagged by Tim Fee of Snagging Inspcetions.co.uk 07768 900200.  You would then have a list you can give to horrid Harron Homes  and get all the work done in one go minimising inconvenience to you.

Chris

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 09:33:01 am »
Thanks a lot for your help I'm starting to think I should have had it professionally snagged.
I can't believe it took me over a month to notice it's glaringly obvious! :)