'"> ');

Author Topic: Regulation height between top of window and ceiling??  (Read 9936 times)

kazzea

Regulation height between top of window and ceiling??
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:17 pm »
Hi All,

My snagging list is in the hundreds and is a nightmare trying to get builder to respond. 
However my living room window has just shy of 55mm between the top of the window frame and the ceiling.  Way too small a gap to be able to put up a curtain pole (including the brackets).  Surely there is a minimum standard space between the top of the window and the ceiling?

I have hunted all over including trawling through sections of the NHBC handbook but cannot find the answer.  If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Regulation height between top of window and ceiling??
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:43:27 am »
Obviously the 50mm is not sufficient to fit a curtain batten. On the face of it I expect it is a mistake. The lintels having been installed one or two courses of bricks too low.

I would expect the solution offered by the housebuilder and warranty provider would be to suggest you fit a ceiling mounted curtain pole!

I have had a quick scan of the NHBC standards 2018 online but cannot find any reference to minimum space from top of window to ceiling. I am sure this used to be 225mm from memory, but like a lot of standards I expect it has been deleted!

What was the situation is  the show house and other homes on the development of your house type?
If you can take a photo and prove your home is different they should put this right but how is another matter, fit a smaller window?

I expect the only solution would be to pay you compensation.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.