'"> ');

Author Topic: opinions on brickwork  (Read 20118 times)

pughster25

opinions on brickwork
« on: October 09, 2017, 07:46:10 pm »
Hi,

I recently moved into a new build and everyday I'm finding more low quality workmanship to add to the never ending snagging list. Below are some pictures I took of my brickwork which I perceive to be very low quality,

What are people's opinions?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: opinions on brickwork
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:59:27 am »
For a start, re size the photos and upload them to the forum by using the "attachments and other options"  Your photos were not even available on the links you posted.

You also need to name the housebuilder as a warning to others.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

pughster25

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:33:36 pm »
Some photos.

pughster25

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:56 pm »
More photos. I don't want to name them just yet, looking at the houses either side of us their brickwork looks a LOT better than ours, I have loads more pictures. The site manager is due tomorrow for us to review these but I am after some technical terms of what is actually incorrect

Thanks in advance

pughster25

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:40:00 pm »
more pics, last one shows large gaps between the bricks and some where the bricks are touching, its hard to see the touching bricks as there is cement that makes it look like a bad joint

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 05:20:10 am »
Basically its bad pointing and a general lack of care.
I've seen worse and I've seen better too.
No housebuilder will do anything about any of the bad workmanship in your photos and neither will the warranty provider.

If you are not prepared to name the housebuilder, I am not prepared to comment further.
Please, next time put the photographs up the right way round!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

pughster25

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 07:29:57 am »
Hi, the pictures were the correct way on my computer so unsure why the website changed the orientation.

Would naming the builders affect my chances of remedial works?

It is a major builder and I've spent the last 10 years saving for what should be our dream home, its the most expensive house on the development and dont want to be left with what looks like a mess, its already causing issues in the family with stress etc

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:12:23 am »
As they say "The squeaky wheel gets the oil"
You should be naming the builder as a warning to others.
Doing something for someone else.
But don't say anything that isn't 100% true and provable!
Especially as it is one of the plcs!

pughster25

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 09:44:58 am »
Full album of photos can be found at http://s173.photobucket.com/user/pughster25/library/House%20snagging/Exterior

After been round and round and been told each week we will sort it I decided I have had enough as it seemed that we were getting little patches of brickwork fixed.
I complained I wanted an action plan of exactly what was and was not going to be fixed as they had not done all of what I perceive to be defects on one side of the house before starting the next.
They have now advised that they will pretty much only replace the bricks above the windows that have the incorrectly cut angle.  I did say I'm not happy and the area manager is escalating to his manager as I believe that this could potentially have an effect on my resale value as some of it is quite unsightly.

Developer is Bloor homes

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 09:10:48 am »
Bloor homes don't have a very good record of customer service as a number of their buyers have confirmed to me.
They appear more keen to argue a case for not doing anything, than to actually sort out the complaints to their customer's satisfaction.

pughster25

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 08:10:18 pm »
Bloor homes don't have a very good record of customer service as a number of their buyers have confirmed to me.
They appear more keen to argue a case for not doing anything, than to actually sort out the complaints to their customer's satisfaction.

What do you think of the pics? is the brickwork to an acceptable standard and NHBC standards?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 07:44:39 am »
To be honest I only looked at one, I got fed up with the ads popping up!

I've seen a whole lot worse brickwork and whatever you or I say about it, one thing is for sure, it isn't getting knocked down and re built under the warranty.
If you do get them to cut out the bits you don't like the remedial work will show up like a sore thumb.

I would let it go. You will have worse to worry about with a new home!
Don't forget to get it snagged and inspected before you move in.
Give Tim Fee at Snagging Inspections a call 07768 900200

pughster25

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 08:09:57 pm »
Thanks for the response.
We have already moved in, Bloors changed the snagging policy, you only get to snag now after moving in (10 day snag) then again at 5-7 month. We have been in over 10 weeks now and every time they try to fix something by doing half a job they cause more issues.

For example: They wouldn't remove doors to sand and repaint interior door frames, now I have overpainted hinges, scratched hinges and gloss on my new oak doors!
They also wouldn't lift carpets where carpet fitters gouged all skirting board, now I can see a clear line where they painted to the masking tape.

pughster25

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:07 pm »
I have also started a blog to capture the shocking follow up from Bloor Homes

https://bloordontfixshit.tumblr.com/

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 07:34:15 am »
Asaid before:

Seems another example to confirm it.

Good luck with the blog. Anyone considering a Bloor new home should take a look!
It is disgusting that house builders like Bloor "don't allow" snagging inspections until the buyer has moved in. At that point it is too late and the buyer is inconvenienced whilst work to fix defects is carried out - if at all.  There are no specific time intervals for snagging those given are just to suit Bloor Homes.
If Bloor Homes don't act make a warranty claim.