'"> ');

Author Topic: Damp proof course  (Read 8137 times)

hroberts1405

Damp proof course
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:51:41 pm »
ADVICE NEEDED:
I am due to move into my new Persimmon home this Friday.
However, I have just had a call to say that there is an issue because the insulation has blown under an area of the damp proof course. They asked me to write to the building inspector to say that I am happy for him to still pass the house on Thursday morning and they will fix the issue on Thursday afternoon.

I have refused!!!
However, I have no clue about this issue really?
It sounds serious to me. I am now worried that I am going to end up lots of damp troubles in the future. What does this mean exactly and can it be rectified quickly to a satisfactory standard?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Damp proof course
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 09:27:56 am »
Do not legally complete under any circumstances until this is resolved.
It is Persimmon's half year figures on Friday and that is why they are trying to shoe-horn you in.
Resist this - do not be pressured. tell Persimmon you will legally complete in two weeks time if the issue is sorted. have your home professionally snagged and inspected before you legally complete.
Give Tim Fee a call on 07768 900200

Persimmon are a 3-star rated housebuilder and have been for many years. They are notoriously bad at attending to the defective new homes they build, especially after you have moved in and even more especially if the defects are serious, costly, time-consuming or all three!

Be careful because this might not be the real reason you can't move in.
Insulation below dpc does not normally cause an issue. It is usually a mineral wool fibre or made from shredded recycled plastic bottles and as such does not allow water to transmit by capillary attraction.
Cavity Wall Insulation With Blown Mineral Wool
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.