'"> ');

Author Topic: Big leak in ceiling  (Read 7032 times)

simba_ali

Re: Big leak in ceiling
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 10:57:33 am »
Yea I think I will try to seal the door, can't make it any worse.

The annoying thing about this kind of problem is knowing where and how to look, you could replace the roofing and door and still not fix the issue. Also waiting for heavy rain to test possible fixes .

If I do fix it I'll be sure to reply and let you know what it was as it might help others in the future!

Regards

simba_ali

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 09:38:20 am »
So I have some more information if it may help anyone in the future...

Out of frustration I poured gallons of water all over the external balcony wall and blew a hairdryer directly on it to create wind and I managed to make it leak. The water came through after 5 mins so my first thought was it's running down the wall (on the outside) and in the gap where the roof flashing meets the wall. I concentrated on this gap with more water and made it leak straight away.

So your thoughts of cavity trays seems correct or at least, a combination of missing cavity trays and badly fitted flashing.

I have researched building regs and it seems cavity trays are required in these areas so would premier guarantee cover this or at least moaning at the housing association that's it's required might help them do something or am I just wasting my time and should cover it myself?

Regards

Midwest

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 11:50:25 am »
How much do you expect it will cost to rectify, have you had a quotation?

simba_ali

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 12:23:15 pm »
To be honest I've had 2 roofers, 2 builders and a carpenter inspect it and all of them could only offer £50-70 an hour investigation fee because it could of been so many different parts, but now I've narrowed it down myself (and saved money) to this one area I'm going to arrange different visits for a better idea of costs. I'm preparing myself for a hefty cost to install cavity trays in an existing wall  :(

Midwest

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 12:24:26 pm »
I was thinking of going to a solicitor, but if it is only going to cost less than a couple of grand, that might not be worth it. You know how expensive solicitors can be. Have you legal expenses on your home insurance?

simba_ali

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 07:58:09 pm »
So I've managed to make it leak directly at the balcony upstand without getting the wall wet so it seems that it's getting behind the upstand and running down the external face of the outer wall underneath the rubber upstand and not down the cavity wall as I assumed. From what I can see there is no visible damage to the roof timber so it must be falling directly down the wall and onto the ceiling.

My Theory is the upstand has not been bedded correctly as there is flex when pressing it and with enough water pressure caused by wind it's forced underneath.

I also think the lack of cavity trays is making it worse but not the number one cause.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 11:44:57 am »
Premier Guarantee will expect you to pay the excess (£1,500 from memory) in any event which will in all probability be less than the cost of the works.

I would suggest you write to the HA and suggest that they agree to pay a percentage of the costs equal to the equity percentage they own in your home. You the get three quoted and clear it with the HA which one to proceed with and get the work done yourself.

By the way you must have on hell of a powerful hairdryer!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.