'"> ');

Author Topic: 3 Damp proof courses on house at varying levels.  (Read 3093 times)

Bri

3 Damp proof courses on house at varying levels.
« on: October 06, 2020, 10:17:38 pm »
My house has 2 extra DPC at 8ft and 20ft. The 20 ft one is being removed.
The 8ft one is sitting on a sandstone ledge that runs around the house. Looking at the DPC it appears to be attatched to the inner block wall, runs down the block, goes across the cavity gap and sits under the blocks that are directly above the ledge.

If like this all the way round it will prevent air circulation, it will hold water/condensation and there are gaps between the insulation. The vertical bed joints where mortar has fell off leaving gaps I can see through the gap. There is no mortar on the full width of the block. It`s as though they were pointed only, so mortar only on the first inch or so of the vertical bed joint. Lots of mortar crumbling away and rubs away with my finger.

Maxell

Re: 3 Damp proof courses on house at varying levels.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 09:07:48 pm »
I can't see from the picture but it could be a form of cavity tray . They use wide dpc and the missing mortar is where a weep vent should be . I would be careful before removing this .
Thanks

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Bri

Re: 3 Damp proof courses on house at varying levels.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:51:50 pm »
The missing mortar is the vertical bed joint, not a weep hole. It is a damp proof course as i can see it clearly and it is exactly the same as the DPC being removed at second floor level. Building houses with no quality control.