'"> ');

Author Topic: Who owns a tree?  (Read 6175 times)

yayalon00

Who owns a tree?
« on: August 17, 2020, 10:02:47 am »
Hi

I purchased a new home, all houses on my side of the development had some ugly but big conifers at the back of the gardens and the developer decided not to fence the back and keep the conifers as is. We didn't like this at all (they look ugly and sick) so we asked them to remove them and fence the back.

What turns out is that they decided one of the conifers was too close to the neighbours plot and insted , they fenced around it (i.e. I have a tiny section of timber fence screwed to the tree.
The tree is physically within my plot, but they've fenced me out of it.

So.. what is the situation now? They haven't sold the house next door yet, they have a reservation and are going to complete in October.
Can I cut down that tree as it is clearly within my plot? who do I need to ask permission? This is not a conservation area.

yayalon00

Re: Who owns a tree?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 10:07:11 am »
some more clear pictures, hopefully in the right orientation now

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Who owns a tree?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 12:40:12 pm »
Not sure about the ownership of the tree, but the fencing is a right lash up and won't last a winter in my opinion.
Make sure the boundary fence is where it should be, as is, on the title deeds.

Tree maybe protected if you ask the council, they may visit and then issue a TPO on it so be warned!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.