'"> ');

Author Topic: Update on floorboard creaking  (Read 34353 times)

simba_ali

Update on floorboard creaking
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:01 am »
Hello, I posted a topic a couple of months ago about a really creaky floor which you kindly gave me advice on. I have a quick update which hopefully you can provide some feedback.

So I recently purchased a house which has a room with a very creaky floor. No amount of screwing by the builder will fix the creak. What we have noticed is the creak position in the floor is directly above a partition wall underneath.

Im no expert in construction but could a connection between the partition wall below and the floor above be rubbing together? The noise occurs within a foot either side of where the wall is underneath.

Any information or a point in the right direction would be appreciated

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Update on floorboard creaking
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 06:43:47 am »
What could be happening is if the partition is a block wall, that will not shrink unlike a timber floor and could make the floor creak at that point.

If it is a timber partition under the floor, it should be fixed to the floor joists in some way, either directly or via noggins between the joists. ("a foot either side" might indicate this) If the timbers are not tight or nails fully driven then this may cause the noise.

Another cause is the wall drylining or adhesive touching the floor joists.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

simba_ali

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »
Thank you for your reply

All the partition walls sound hollow if that helps? It definitely sounds creaky rather than squeaky, I don't know if that points at all to the kind of rubbing. It's 100% not the floorboards as over 30 screws by the builder made no difference.

The builders have said they will take part of the floor up and investigate, hopefully this narrows it down!

Another issue I previously mentioned was I have a room about 3.8m x 2.6.
It's been bouncy ever since I moved in. Furniture shakes slightly and from the room underneath  there is a banging/ cracking sound when some walks over it. The builder said it's fine and just a long joist span? Is this correct? I've heard conflicting stories of pulling the ceiling down And reinforcing. Most say it made no difference. Obviously I'm concerned about it collapsing

Kind regards

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 07:02:11 am »
The creaky floor is caused by drylining touching the joists I think.  The hollow partition is studwork metal or timber so that should be the issue.  I have now found my other post with a link to the research that has been done regarding this issue.

As for the bouncy floor, the joists are either: To far spaced apart or are not deep enough (strong enough) for the spans involved.  It is most certainly not "fine and just a long joist span"!
Long spans should be designed for and if necessary, could  incorporate a steel beam in the design to reduce spans.  Your joists are not this. Please report this to the warranty provider as you will get nowhere talking to the idiot builder - who you should name on here as a warning to others!

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

simba_ali

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:25:11 pm »
Thank you for the quick response!

With regards to the bouncy floor, how can such a screw up occur?
Shouldn't joist strength be a basic skill in construction? 
It's either been done on the cheap which would indicate it's passed safety standards and is just an annoyance, or they have calculated something wrong and it's a safety hazard!
I know housebuilders can be bad but are these kind of things not checked by someone?
If I can feel a bounce after 2 months you would think a housebuilder might of mentioned it. Sorry rant over.

Thank you for the link, it was very useful.

Im Assuming this is going to be a lot of work to fix?

Kind regards

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:24:15 am »
Nothing surprises me with housebuilders these days.
It could be a cheapest possible design where the housebuilder ignore the manufacturer's recommendations went for the cheapest design option.
It could also be due to not being fitted inn accordance with best practice and manufacturer's  design and instructions.
It could be an idiot trade has cut away a large critical section of the joist.

No housebuilder is ever going to mention a defect in a home they have built. Why would they?

And finally yes, it will be a lot of work to fix. You will have to move out as they will take up the floor and ceiling and install new or additional joists.  OR just the floor if they try and bodge it with stiffeners!
What was done in the photo below didn't work!  These floor joists should never be modified like this!

simba_ali

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:54:14 am »
Does that mean they could refuse to do anything if it's done to a certain specification?
Even with a bouncy floor? My main issues are safety and being able to sell it at a later date. Which a bouncy floor will most certainly affect.

Is joist stiffening a common attempt by house builders? Is it something I should refuse if they offer it as a fix?

Kind regards

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47:19 am »
You really need to make a claim under the warranty. It would be in the warranty provider's interests to ensure that any remedial works are carried out to manufacturer's recommendations, design and guidance.

There will always be an allowable deflection in the design of floor joists. When this is exceeded, the design will need to be beefed up.
As you notice the deflection, I would guess it is excessive for one of the reasons I have already suggested.

As for whether bodging the problem with stiffening being common, I could not possibly know. All I know is in this one instance that was brought to my attention it was attempted and did not work.

Write to the housebuilder and copy the letter to the warranty provider.

In your nine posts regarding your floor joists, you have not once mentioned the name of the housebuilder so others are warned.  This is the whole point of this forum. 

As you are shared ownership, you should also involve the HA.

I have now said all I can on this matter.