'"> ');

Author Topic: Stonebridge homes  (Read 36320 times)

Pudsey43

Stonebridge homes
« on: March 02, 2016, 04:38:39 pm »
Hi all

Forum newbie here. Just wondering if anyone has experience of Stonebridge homes. They're a small builder in Yorkshire but seem to be yet another builder of ill repute. This isn't just a case of buyers remorse. The house design and area are nice. But the execution, heating system, quality of workmanship is just awful.

Other homeowners on the same estate have experienced similar issues especially heating and painting.

I would certainly warn anyone against buying a house from them but wondered if there was any advice you could give on steps to take.

I have been in almost constant contact with them since December on a range of issues.

- they have been to tidy up the paintwork in many areas where wood hadn't been sanded or finished properly but issues still remain

- the heating system is woefully inadequate and I now have an independent report from another heating company that states this.

- they replaced 3 damaged flagstones with ones of a different shade on my patio that stand out like a sore thumb, yet claim it isn't a requirement to have matching flagstones under the terms of the premier warranty.

I refuse to give up until I get the house I paid nearly 300k for but information is power. Anything you can advise me on would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Stonebridge homes
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:52:41 am »
Oh dear, when I see the words "Premier Guarantee" I worry.
In my opinion it is anything but "Premier"
It is even more important when buying from a small regional housebuilder as you have done to make sure you have an NHBC Warranty.  The NHBC have strict criteria and checks before allowing a builder on to their register, so it could be Stonebridge Homes were not able to meet NHBC criteria.
Whilst their may be other reasons, from what you say, it looks unlikely!

It is a good idea to have your heating system and design checked to see it is both adequately designed for your home and that it is working as it should and has been properly installed. 
I would also have a thermal imaging survey carried out as I suspect that your home could also be missing cavity insulation and other insulation.

As you have found out, if the house builder flatly refuses to cooperate in correcting defects and snags, your only recourse will be a claim with the warranty provider. 
Failing that, you are looking at lengthy and costly legal action.

You may have a claim using the Consumer Code for Home Builders, but that does not cover snagging and defects but Stonebridge may be in breach of the requirements for customer service.  No harm in telling them if they don't change your patio slabs you will make a formal complaint with the CCHB even if you have no intention of doing so.

I am sure over the many months to come, your post will save several buyers from buying with Stonebridge Homes.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

urfankhaliq

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:23:11 pm »
hi just out of interest what development was this?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:37:48 am »

Just this one post 11 months ago, you are being very optimistic expecting a reply!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

urfankhaliq

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:06:13 pm »

Just this one post 11 months ago, you are being very optimistic expecting a reply!

Well you never know...one can hope! :)