'"> ');

Author Topic: HAYWOOD HOMES  (Read 29037 times)

ohnoicantohyesyoucan

HAYWOOD HOMES
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:19:01 pm »
I have had my water tested three times now resulting in two negative and one positive result  for hydrocarbons.

Invasive work has been carried out on this site to several houses because Hydrocarbons were found in the water  of some houses.

The blue poly water supply pipes were replaced with barrier pipe by Haywood Homes. This obviously caused a an extensive amount of damage (as would be expected) to the car park, which was once so nice and no doubt stress to the residents.

After this work was finished, and because I LIVE DIRECTLY BEHIND THESE HOUSES I insisted my water was tested again as the first time it was tested I just received a flyer saying the water is safe.
This time it was positive, I had my water delivered and was given advice on the contaminated water.
This was on the Thursday afternoon and later that evening another sample was taken.

Friday morning both myself and my neighbours water meters were dug out and the blue poly pipes from the main to the meter were renewed with Barrier pipe .

Monday the hole was filled and I received my water result - it was negative.
I  have had conflicting messages from Welsh water as to what happens next to say that I am annoyed is an understatement. When you buy a new house you don't expect to have to pay thousands to rectify this problem, as in my case the NHBC does not cover .

This makes a flooded garden, a live tank and misted windows menial problems !!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: HAYWOOD HOMES
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:40:24 am »
Hydrocarbons are normally associated with oil or fuel oil, petrol etc. These could possible dissolve your plastic water main.  But unless you have a leak, I can't see how the contamination was getting into your homes water supply.

Clearly your development was built on a brownfield site and the contaminated land was not cleaned up or cleaned up properly before work started as is normally required.

I would suggest you write a letter to your local authority and suggest they re test the land digging holes for samples to be taken. I expect the housebuilder or his contractor has cut corners.

Alternatively,  it could just be from a leak from the groundworker's diesel tanks near that were located your house.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

ohnoicantohyesyoucan

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:02:02 pm »
Thank you for replying.
All the houses are built on very wet ex mining land hence my dreadfully wet garden, which you kindly replied to on Snagging.org.

The first thing I did was call the people that did the search when I bought this property. They informed me that the search I was given was in fact out of date by 17 months. It should of been done when I first agreed to buy the property. I called the solicitor who incidentally was part of the deal (free carpets and solicitor) who said that Companies often give a batch as to save money !!

There was talk of a diesel store at the back of my house which leaked and it could possibly of been that, then they decided it was oil from someone s oil tank, yet the people concerned do not feel they have lost oil .

Environmental health have visited me at my request and have taken another sample and I have also contacted the DWI for advice.

If this land is contaminated surely we should all have our poly pipes replaced with BARRIER PIPE.
Neighbours saying "oh my water is OK" is just ignorance. My water was also clear TWICE, once before the contamination once after. In fact my water was meant to have been clear again before Welsh Water even changed the poly pipe to barrier pipe up to the meter.  I have had so many conflicting messages from Welsh Water I now will only accept communication in writing.

The NHBC say that they do not cover contaminated land. Haywood's Building Manager stressed to me that the company were not worried if the whole estate had to have theirs replaced as it is all covered by the guarantees, which would of been OK by me. I'd rather be safe but who expects to pay to have such invasive work done in a new house WITHIN 3 YEARS?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:24:09 am »
So I was right - it was caused by either the contractors site diesel tank and/or heating fuel oil.

I've lost count of the number of times I have told buyers NOT to use the housebuilder's recommended or suggested solicitors and with good reason!
Even if they pay the legal fees it is never in the buyer's best interests and your searches demonstrate this perfectly.  Notwithstanding this, your solicitor owes you a professional duty of care. It really does appear that he has been negligent and I would suggest you make a complain to them in the first instance, informing them that you will progress the matter with the Legal Ombudsman and also notify the Law Society.  That should do the trick!

As I said in my earlier reply, the land was contaminated and still is. It needs to be cleaned up and the contamination removed as it is a risk to both your health and others. It is a way bigger issue than just replacing your water service pipes!
I am pleased the Environmental Heath Department have been made aware of this.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

ohnoicantohyesyoucan

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 11:53:17 am »
Environmental health and DWI report that Welsh Water need to investigate further.
Then they could step in but still no post today from WELSH WATER with all the documents I requested. Regarding the solicitor, I shall be doing exactly that!
Thank you once again.

ohnoicantohyesyoucan

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:52:54 pm »
Today a letter was sent out to all of residents (I presume) stating their account of what has happened on this site. it is a completely different account of what others have been told.
No mention of my contaminated water issue either or the fact I am ordered to replace this pipe with barrier pipe or the leaking diesel generator, confirmed by previous builders.

Remember the houses that were built too close to mine, but I was told for months and months they were not, until the planning office then gave the go ahead and then he visited me. He sat in my lounge and said  to me "Yes you were right."  My neighbour and I got £500 to buy some trees, we agreed as what could we do no amount of fighting was going to get us anywhere.

And the land at the back of our houses that will never be built on, was put up for sale as soon as the last house on this site was finished.

Lie after Lie

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:54 am »
Exactly why a New Homes Ombudsman is needed.
New homebuyers just have no one independent to turn to.

The local authority planning department, should be forcing the builder to demolish the homes built in the wrong place!

ohnoicantohyesyoucan

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 06:35:58 pm »
No for some reason they let them go ahead (despite visiting the council and calling constantly) and the fact is they are there now and people live in them its not so bad, but Haywoods have had their payback with having to fix the problems.

And today I have had such great news regarding this situation things are looking up  ;D for me anyway, not everyone.