'"> ');

Author Topic: Harron homes  (Read 16520 times)

Chris

Harron homes
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »
Hi guys anyone thinking of Harron homes here's a few of my problems ( moved in October 14th)

En-suite window glass - (fixed)
Bath seal/tile next grouting - (fixed)
Upstairs Radiator on downstairs system - (still outstanding )
Doors and frames not fitting - (two completed, bathroom needs joiner)
Downstairs toilet extractor fan venting into floor space - (fixed)
Kitchen cooker extractor venting into floor space - (still outstanding)
Soft close draws missing - (fixed)
HDMI cable plastered into wall, was told it would be ducting so we could pull our own through? (Informed after we paid for it that this isn't the case)
Wall socket for tv too high but as we agreed to what was recommended we accept it even though its disappointing.
Bay window not built properly - (still outstanding )
Wall around bay window not straight - (still outstanding )
Garden gate - (fixed twice now ok)
Garden scraped then levelled properly - (still outstanding )
(Once this is done I believe fence might need to be lowered)
Fence meets garden wall not finished properly - (still outstanding )
Guttering over bay window flows wrong way?! - (Fixed)
Guttering/facia front of house on the end wrong way - (still outstanding )
Drain pipe at back of house damaged by broken gate - (still outstanding )
Blocked side drain by concrete/soil - (fixed myself)
Damaged bricks - (most fixed, still one damaged on bay)
Clear glass in side door that looks out onto street - (fixed)
Side railings for house boundary - (fixed)
Internal Door handles - (fixed)
Also a few bits that no one explained
External rear light missing
Why we have five drains on our property
Why the downstairs thermostat isn't in the living room like all the show homes and we were led to believe (it's situated at the back door instead?!)

The whole estate are experiencing problems and they say they are dealing with it? Fingers crossed

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Harron homes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:01:50 am »
Harron Buyers may also be interested in this Facebook page Harron Homes Blog
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

urfankhaliq

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:30:36 pm »
Hi guys anyone thinking of Harron homes here's a few of my problems ( moved in October 14th)

En-suite window glass - (fixed)
Bath seal/tile next grouting - (fixed)
Upstairs Radiator on downstairs system - (still outstanding )
Doors and frames not fitting - (two completed, bathroom needs joiner)
Downstairs toilet extractor fan venting into floor space - (fixed)
Kitchen cooker extractor venting into floor space - (still outstanding)
Soft close draws missing - (fixed)
HDMI cable plastered into wall, was told it would be ducting so we could pull our own through? (Informed after we paid for it that this isn't the case)
Wall socket for tv too high but as we agreed to what was recommended we accept it even though its disappointing.
Bay window not built properly - (still outstanding )
Wall around bay window not straight - (still outstanding )
Garden gate - (fixed twice now ok)
Garden scraped then levelled properly - (still outstanding )
(Once this is done I believe fence might need to be lowered)
Fence meets garden wall not finished properly - (still outstanding )
Guttering over bay window flows wrong way?! - (Fixed)
Guttering/facia front of house on the end wrong way - (still outstanding )
Drain pipe at back of house damaged by broken gate - (still outstanding )
Blocked side drain by concrete/soil - (fixed myself)
Damaged bricks - (most fixed, still one damaged on bay)
Clear glass in side door that looks out onto street - (fixed)
Side railings for house boundary - (fixed)
Internal Door handles - (fixed)
Also a few bits that no one explained
External rear light missing
Why we have five drains on our property
Why the downstairs thermostat isn't in the living room like all the show homes and we were led to believe (it's situated at the back door instead?!)

The whole estate are experiencing problems and they say they are dealing with it? Fingers crossed

Wow what a list...so does that mean you regret buying or has the experience still been OK?

By the way, how did you discover that the venting from kitchen/bathroom extractor fan is going in to the floor space?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:29:39 am »
I think most people would regret buying a home form Harron -  especially a new home with so many defects and so many that have still yet to be resolved some 5 months later!

I suspect the kitchen extractor vent stained the ceiling and no vent was visible  externally.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Chris

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:33:58 pm »
It's a hard one to answer the location is great, the house is great - 90% of it anyway.
I lived in a 2 up 2 down 100 year-old ex-council house before so in comparison it's amazing but when I look at the mistakes they've made, part of the guttering running away from the drain pipe in two areas or non-extracting cooker hood to name a few.

It's so frustrating that people can make mistakes like this. The worst is that nobody gets back to you for weeks or months. Now I've escalated it by going to my local councillor (old friend) and MP,
 Harron homes are "but we didn't know there was any real promblems!"

Chris

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:35:05 pm »
Does anybody know if there are any rules on amount of drains on the property?
We've got 3 at back and 2 at side?

Chris

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:56:33 pm »
As for the vents both the downstairs toilet and cooker hood had no external wall vent.
The cooker hood does have side vents on it but you can see the white ducting going up into the ceiling. When they fixed the toilet one they said it was all there, it was just not drilled through so I am guesing the cooker hood is the same.
I've been told that under new home regulations kitchens must have a external vent to pass, mine hasn't one at present!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:20 am »
Regarding he drains, I presume you mean manhole access covers.
Due to cost, these are only provided where regulations require access to the drainage to sort out blockages etc.
You might have just been unlucky and have all the manholes including from neighbour's drains on your property.

Chris

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 04:40:45 pm »
Yeah sorry manhole access covers. The two at the side aren't too bad but the back ones are annoying. Guess we are  just unlucky.

Side note guys my councillor friend got this response on 10th March

Dear Clive,

Thank you for your email.  I will arrange for the issues to be investigated asap, and we will respond shortly.

Best Regards

Sam Rose
Office Manager / PA to Paul Harrison MD
Harron Homes Ltd
No one has contacted me yet but asap doesn't mean the same at Harron homes

Chris

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 08:08:34 pm »
Looking like Harron homes have changed there customer care email again.
At the beginning of the year you had the basic customer care email on their website and a resolutions department email for further complaints.
Then about February a woman named Christine Stevens was was a named email instead of the resolutions department now it's gone and you are left with just the customer care?
Is this to deflect the volume of complaints or is it she's left because they're crap and she had enough?
My last email was the 10th March to them

Thank you for contacting Harron Homes Customer Services Department. Please be aware that our aim is to respond to all incoming emails within 5 working days of receipt.

Alternatively, should your query be classed as an emergency then please dial: 0113 204 4670 and a member of the team will be happy to assist you.

Should you be unsure as to what constitutes an emergency then kindly refer to the Move-in File provided to you on your moving in date.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,

The Customer Care Team

No reply as yet , 14 days and counting

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 06:36:44 am »
This is an example of how not to run a customer service/care department  in any company!

Chris

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 07:11:39 pm »
Just had a meeting with Yvette Cooper Labour MP for Castleford with five other homeowners (apparently there would have been more but couldn't make it)
She seemed very interested so hopefully we'll get somewhere.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 05:53:38 am »
Taking issues with new homes and house builders to your MP is the only way to get permanent change.
As you have found out, not everyone is prepared to put the effort in though!
Every MP needs to push for a New Homes Ombudsman to be set up.
Then builders will be forced to act or pay substantial compensation when they fail.

Chris

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 05:08:11 pm »
It's  looking like the construction manager and customer care manager are going to cone out to our house to look at the build quality of the walls and the bay window. With regards to the window it looks like the whole side of our house is too long so they've put the window on a slant skewed to make it fit. If it's going to be a massive job to fix or impractical/impossible where do we stand legally? Can we force them to give us the end product that they promised?