'"> ');

Author Topic: AC Lloyd  (Read 11319 times)

Sky7911

AC Lloyd
« on: September 09, 2018, 06:30:52 pm »
Hi

We are looking at buying a new build property using the Help to buy equity loan. Without this we'd probably only be able to buy a property when we are 80  ::).

We have seen really negative reviews about the usual builders such as Taylor Wimpey and Persimmon Homes. The area that we're looking at doesnt have many other developers. However, AC Lloyd seems like a really good option i.e. there is nothing negative online about them. Does anyone have experiences to share?

Thanks in advance.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: AC Lloyd
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:09:27 am »
I would always advise buyers are wise to avoid any plc housebuilder.

As far as AC Lloyd are concerned, personally I have never heard of them. That may be a good thing!

On their website it says:
"Our trusted Site Managers check ground conditions daily in case we need to adapt the foundation design to get the very best result"
Most site managers wouldn't know what they were looking at and none are structural engineers qualified to vary foundation design and type. A good housebuilder would have carried out a full site survey including analysis for contaminants, bore holes, trial pits and loadbearing testing before design and before any work started!

I like they use posi joist rather than the rubbish TJI's the plc housebuilders use.
And they do give an NHBC Warranty crucial when a small housebuilder is building you home.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Sky7911

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 09:12:58 pm »
Thanks for the response. Any other advice or guidance you can offer would be appreciated. I am reading through all the information on this website.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 06:10:15 am »
I would advise everyone to read the detailed information on the main website brand new homes and my blog articles

Be sure not to use any solicitor recommended or suggested by the builder and do get your home professionally snagged and inspected BEFORE you legally complete.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Sky7911

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:35:32 pm »
Thank you. We've spoken to an independent financial advisor who is linked to the developer but seems very good. What are your thoughts on this?

Also I have seen your list of the worst builders. Do you have a list of recommended builders?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:51:39 am »
I cannot see an issue using a mortgage broker offered by the housebuilder. Just don't buy any add0ons like home insurance, mortgage protection insurance etc.

It is however VITAL you don't succumb to using the builder's preferred, suggested/recommended solicitor, under any circumstances, even if they offer you cash to do so or choosing one from their list.

The reason I resist naming the better housebuilders is because there will always be buyers who don't get a well-built home or give buyers poor after sales service. In addition, the better housebuilders today, can become worse next year. Seldom do poor housebuilders improve unless they are forced to by new legislation. I live in hope.