'"> ');

Author Topic: Switching energy suppliers - what a nightmare and for what?  (Read 12543 times)

Fred

The sooner OFGEM sorts this out the better!

In my experience (over 90 mins on comparision websites and with a calculator) the BEST I could get 'Dual fuel' was a saving of £100 on my current separate suppliers. 
Hardly worth the bother!

Many other comparison sites claimed the deals would be saving me money but were more expensive when I got the calculator out!
The unit rate may be a bit cheaper but they hit you with increased standing charges which more than wipe out any savings you make on the kwh rates.

My Electricity now £399.11    Comparison website £392.93
My Gas         now £533.08    Comparison website £519.93   

And the difference in the so called deals was in the discounts offered for online billing direct debits etc, most of the rates were exactly the same!

I tried U switch  (not very good!)  Money supermarket (better only just)  EDF ( a nightmare!) and Coop -  quite straightforward!

Philofacts

• Global Moderator
  • New Home Expert
    • Brand New Homes
Re: Switching energy suppliers - what a nightmare and for what?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:17 am »
I agree Fred, switching isn't really an option.
Presumably all the companies pay the same rates for the electricty and gas anyway.

As soon as you switch the prices go up. 
Until OFGEM starts to fine the Big six energy Cartel it will only get worse.
Make a Donation - If you found the information and advice helpful.
The premier information website for the UK new home buyer.

Fred

Re: Switching energy suppliers - what a nightmare and for what?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:23:37 am »
They are all putting up their prices by the same amount.  No point in switching at all.
Oil barrel price went down 8% last week yet price at the pumps is still the same! 
It should have gone DOWN 11p a litre!

The Prophet

• Global Moderator
  • Financial & Economics commentator
E.ON Energy Price rises
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:54:10 am »
E.ON has put up its prices on the very day when wholesale gas prices have fallen. Since March the wholesale price of gas has fallen 22% and electricity is down 19%
In the same period E.ON has raised customer prices by around 20%.

It is high time Ofgem did what it was set up to do and properly regulated the market and ended the blatant profiteering by the foreign-owned, big six, energy cartel.