'"> ');

Author Topic: David Wilson nightmare  (Read 27458 times)

Brian

David Wilson nightmare
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:14 am »
I am now into 22 months of ownership of a David Wilson Home and it has been a nightmare.
I have had so many snags that DWH have tried to fix but in doing so, they create more damage.
I have had a 124-page report written that catalogues the issues we have had and there are some that still exist.
I have sent the report to the HBF, NHBC, Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority.
I have not shared it with DWH as I do not want them to get an upper-hand.
I just want them to buy my property back and I can say good riddance to DWH.
I will take them to court if I have to as right from the start they broke the Property Misdescriptions Act with the sales advisor not telling the truth.
Where do I go from here I do not know.
I could put my report on a website but have not taken that any further at present.
Any advice appreciated.

Philofacts

• Global Moderator
  • New Home Expert
    • Brand New Homes
Re: David Wilson nightmare
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:37 am »
As you probably know, David Wilson Homes are a trading company of Barratt Developments.
You will also know that you have just 2 months remaining on your warranty to notify the house builder of defects in your property.
The first thing you need to do is WRITE to DWH and inform them of any new defects that have not been previously reported. 
Whilst doing so you could also list the items that have been reported, attended to but still are not sorted out yet.

I would advise all UK new homebuyers to have their new homes independently professionally inspected BEFORE they complete the purchase.
It is always better and easier to get issues fixed before house builders get the money!

The HBF is an organisation set up for house builder to promote new homes.  They will not do anything.
The NHBC will suggest you contact DWH until the 2-year part of the 10-year Buildmark warranty expires.
The NHBC may help you should the builder be fail to respond.

If you have been mis-sold then you are quite right to report the matter to your local trading standards office.
This may not help you, but it will send a message to house builders that they must be more honest and truthful, and any fines will hurt! 
The new acts are the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and the Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008

Have you asked DWH to buy your home back? 
It is not unheard of and probably happens more than people realise.  This would give you what you want and save DWH one hell of a lot of trouble.

You can put your story on a website, many unhappy homeowners are taking this route and it does get results.
You should be aware, particularly with Barratt, that any resolution will be on the condition of you're agreeing to a confidentiality agreement and taking down your website.
Make a Donation - If you found the information and advice helpful.
The premier information website for the UK new home buyer.

Brian

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:42:21 pm »
In the topic the HBF is mentioned. The reason for this is that DWH and Barratts use the HBF logo incorrectly with reference to the HBF guidelines.

This is misleading to the purchaser of a new property and does not state that the 5 star quality is from a customer survey. I can assure anybody that the property is definitely not 5 star quality.

Philofacts

• Global Moderator
  • New Home Expert
    • Brand New Homes
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:01:15 pm »
Full details of the HBF star rating can be found by clicking the link.
You are correct.
It would appear that HBF rules have been infringed by David Wilson Homes with their flag in the picture.
The Logo is clearly different to the HBF star rating logo, contravening rule 8.
It does not mention 'Customer Satisfaction Survey' and
Rule 6 is also being breached as DWH use the term "Five Star excellence guaranteed"
Quite a claim given your original post!
All to confuse buyers as satisfaction is not a measure of quality.

Buyers should also note that the 5-star rating was achieved from a total of just 4,083 surveys returned from Barratt/DWH buyers, only 36% of the total homes built by Barratt(David Wilson) to their year-ended 30 June 2012.
Make a Donation - If you found the information and advice helpful.
The premier information website for the UK new home buyer.