'"> ');

Author Topic: Crest Nicholson  (Read 33016 times)

Lily70

Crest Nicholson
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:59:54 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, looking to buy a new build flat from this development
crestnicholson.com/565londonroad
It would be appreciated if people could share their opinions both about the developer and the development.

I have read some topics on this forum.
Now I understand I will need to get my own solicitor and snagging inspector.
What about mortgage advisor? Is it OK to use the one recommended by the developer or better find my own one?
I am a first time buyer so have no experience.

Also would like to know the opinion about Amtico flooring that  Crest Nicholson is going to install in the flats.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Crest Nicholson
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:04:30 pm »
First of all we don't allow links to house builder's developments!
The last thing I would wish would be for more people to find their way to Crest Nicholson's website.

As a first time buyer you need to read up on all the information provided on the Brand New Homes Website and the articles I have written on New Home Blog

You are fortunate to have found this website before committing to buy. 
At least you will not lose control by using a builder's pet solicitor.
Regarding the mortgage, whilst Crest will get a kick-back commission it will be you that decides which mortgage suits you and what you can afford. They can only broker what is on the market.
You could check out the Best Buys here on this website!

Crest Nicholson are not one of the better house builders. You need to knock on some doors and ask what existing buyers have to say.
If you do buy a new home, please do have it professionally inspected and snagged BEFORE you legally complete.

As for Amtico flooring, most builder's contractors don't do it properly and lay on uneven badly finished out of level floors. It is much harder to take up and re do than carpet and vinyl!

A final word of warning, it is my considered opinion and that of others, that the housing market is about to crash starting this year and by the end could fall as much as 50% on today's prices.  Still want that new home?
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Lily70

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:29:20 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply, New Home Expert. I will study the recommended information.
Yes, I agree, I think I am lucky I have found this forum and already read about need for own solicitor an a snagging inspector.

Well, I need to have roof over my head. Having own home even with mortgage seems to be a better thing that renting. House prices are difficult to predict. I would like to get my own place while I can afford it and not rent until retirement.

From what I heard from my work colleagues looking to move to bigger houses, the second-hand (not new build) homes get weekend viewing by 5-10 people and viewing turns into auction, i.e. whoever offers a higher price gets the house.
New build house do not have such selling process. I have been watching Barratts, Taylor Wimpey and some other developers websites for a few months now and their new homes seem to sell like hot cakes.

I do not know where Crest Nicholson has completed homes recently and where to go to knock doors. That's why I put link I my message hoping to hear feedback of people on this forum.
I am not sure what this website and forum about: giving constructive advice or discouraging from buying new homes.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:23:37 am »
Buying your own home is better than renting over the long term.
But buying the RIGHT home, at the RIGHT price and at the RIGHT time are all just as vital.

New homes are "selling like hot cakes" because this misguided government came up with a taxpayer-funded scheme (Help to Buy) effectively subsidising 20% of the purchase price.  However, nearly all house builders have increased their prices by around the same 20% since the scheme came into operation last April.

"I am not sure what this website and forum about: giving constructive advice or discouraging from buying new homes."
On a personal level after the 100s of buyers who have personally contacted me and asked for my help in dealing with defects and in their new homes and housebuilders indifference, I do tend to try and steer people away from buying ANY new home.
There are just so many reasons why buying new is a bad move.  You can read them all for yourself on the website, forum and Blog. In fact the slider on the Home Page even gives most of the disadvantages!
The information provided gives those that still want to an edge in the one-sided process. You yourself have already learned that you should not use the builder's choice of solicitor and the need to have the home professionally inspected before legal completing.  Do you think a house builder sales would have suggested this?

The website etc is "about" informing the British public,  protecting them from themselves if you like, from making a very bad unwise decision.  
If this isn't readily apparent, I may as well give up, save my time and take the websites down!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Lily70

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 10:37:58 am »
Many thank for your reply, New Home Expert!
Would you recommend to look at homes of other developers, if yes, which ones?
or stay away of new homes completely?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:48:20 am »
Best advice would be to stay away from new homes completely.
You may be lucky, you could get a great site manager who really cares and goes the extra mile for his buyers.
But even then, the office will dictate how fast he builds and the amount of "work in progress" he is allowed to have, especially on unsold plots.

As for who I would personally recommend, that's a good one!
I could say Barratt and Miller are more likely to be better than the rest and extremely likely to be better than Persimmon, Linden, Taylor Wimpey and Bovis.
Then you go an buy one and find you have a dodgy site manager who doesn't care and doesnt know what he is looking at.

Lily70

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:54:49 pm »
Best advice would be to stay away from new homes completely.
You may be lucky, you could get a great site manager who really cares and goes the extra mile for his buyers.
But even then, the office will dictate how fast he builds and the amount of "work in progress" he is allowed to have, especially on unsold plots.

As for who I would personally recommend, that's a good one!
I could say Barratt and Miller are more likely to be better than the rest and extremely likely to be better than Persimmon, Linden, Taylor Wimpey and Bovis.
Then you go an buy one and find you have a dodgy site manager who doesn't care and doesnt know what he is looking at.

Thank you very much for your advice. I did not expect Barratt to come first as they seem to have to too many developments in and around London.
What is your opinion about multimillion new homes in expensive areas, such as Tower Bridge or Hammersmith? Obviously, materials used are more expensive. Do you think the quality of workmanship will be better? I was surprised to find out how quickly those homes get reserved.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:56:09 am »
whoooo!  Barratt have not "come first"  They are just not as bad as most of the others.

Multi-million developments are being built by overseas investors looking to preserve their wealth and take money out of their home country in an effort to protect it.  This market is over inflated and with Mansion Tax coming in one form or other and the expensive end of the London property market will be hit.  It's a bubble about to meet its pin!

As for these new homes being better built, they should be but who knows.
It is true some of the materials may be higher specification and more expensive to replace if they got damaged so they should take more care.

Anyway, I thought you were looking at a cheap first time buyer deal?