'"> ');

Author Topic: Water Escape potentially from Neighbours  (Read 7315 times)

deedahdoodah

Water Escape potentially from Neighbours
« on: February 06, 2022, 07:30:12 pm »
I have recently moved into a place which I inherited (so did not have home reports etc) and I am having issues with water escape in a central box room.

Logic would suggest this is coming from a bathroom which was installed a few years back and has apparently leaked before (this is an old Victorian tenement they weren't designed for one bathroom this potentially has three) flat is an airbnb with a live in property manager (who claims he is simply a tenant, but clearly manages the short term let) landlord is a bit dodgy is registered but the address is a hotel I don't think he owns or lives in.

The property manager is nice enough but is refusing any responsibility for the leak and is also avoiding me getting access to get a leak survey done (non invasive which I have offered to pay for) he admits the landlord is not involved in the day to day and I have no contact other than the landlord register (I'm in Scotland by the way so they all need to be registered). Only one other owner occupier in the building the rest are airbnbs or lets so the landlords either don't care or its random admin@ addresses for agents.

So long story short what is my next move I've tried being nice and neighbourly and also offered to cover costs. It may not be their bathroom but as far as insurance are concerned it's the smoking gun (who won't sign off claim until the leak is fixed) can I:

Go to council to gain access through a repair order

Take legal route to gain access as house could potentially be a hazard.

Arrange for a statutory repair again through council to see if it is a wider problem.

Thanks in advance.

I'm at my wits end and terrified to leave the house in case it happens again (at the moment it's at least once a week a small drizzle of water that lasts around 2 mins) I want to get it fixed but the source is in another flat so I don't have full control of the outcome.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Water Escape potentially from Neighbours
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 10:33:14 am »
First get nasty.  Notify HMRC that the property next door is being commercially let and name those getting the rent.

You will have to get legal and force the leaking bathroom to be repaired. From what you describe it does sound like either a washing machine or bath is is is intermittent.

The one thing you cannot do is ignore it as the water ingress damage can only get worse.
The owner/occupier of an adjoining property has a legal duty to ensure no water can enter an adjoining property or land. Please appoint a solicitor and get his advice on this.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.