'"> ');

Author Topic: Yet more reasons to avoid Taylor Wimpey  (Read 30188 times)

NewTWBuyer

Yet more reasons to avoid Taylor Wimpey
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:08:32 pm »
Hello some people on her already know about me and Taylor Wimpey.
But I'm posting my story of what a shameless bunch of liars and swindlers they are in this forum too!
The pictures and video say it all basically, and I include one of their emails in the video description.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123072997@N06/
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7x6pKoUq4E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7x6pKoUq4E</a>

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Yet more reasons to avoid Taylor Wimpey
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:55:59 am »
When will house builders like Taylor Wimpey learn that they cannot get away with building to rubbish standards like this.  
None of these things would have been either impossible or expensive  to eliminate before you moved in IF the home had been properly inspected by Taylor Wimpey site management with the house being snagged and all remedial work again checked with de-snagging inspection before you moved in.

In an ideal world the supposed tradesmen themselves would have a degree of pride and care in what they do to ensure it was right "first time." 

It used to be said on site that "if you wouldn't accept it in your own home it isn't good enough".
Now it's a case of "a blind man would like to see it"

House builders as you have discovered with Taylor Wimpey then add to the misery of their customers by trying everything possible to wriggle out of any responsibility to remedy their rubbish workmanship quote the often used phrase "its within tolerance"

The first house builder that offers a full no quibble, no argument guarantee (not warranty) and will attend to everything a customer complains about (similar to the likes of John Lewis marks & Spencer) will clean up sales wise.  Barratt have made a useful start in this respect with their focus on the customer and their albeit limited, 5-year warranty.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

NewTWBuyer

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:24:28 pm »
The bulges in the top floor bedroom were a result of Taylor Wimpey fitting the socket wires the wrong side of the roof trusses. They then thought that it would be acceptable to board around the wires and carpet around them. As for the shameless way they've tried to get out fixing the bodge.
Well let's just say that next time I buy a house one of the first things I will try to find out is who built it!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:19:22 am »
I don't know what is worse, the fact that the electrician did this in the first place without drilling the sole plate or the fact that the tacker tacked the plasterboard right over it without saying anything to anyone!
Then every following trade, carpenter fitting skirting, carpet fitter, painter all also said and did nothing and ignored it.
Even worse the home was not snagged, or snagged properly, by the Site Management and the bulge in the wall investigated and rectified before you saw it or moved in.

It is even worse than you thought! 
There should be a vapour barrier behind the plasterboard to stop moisture condensing in the insulation at the "dew point"
Unless of course it was cut out (for access) before you took the photo!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

NewTWBuyer

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 06:41:59 pm »
Worryingly you are right. I'll probably go to Citizen's Advice about this.
Taylor Wimpey will no doubt say that the double board is there to stop that. Looks like I'll have to find some building standards to refer to on this.
I might even have to consider going to court and seeing if I can force Taylor Wimpey to buy back my house at current market value and pay all moving expenses.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:50:17 am »
I am not usually wrong!

The double plasterboard is probably for either for fire or sound deadening (or both)
Don't bother with Citizens Advice although they will hook you up with a free 60 minute consultation with a local solicitor.

Regarding buying back your house, this is very unlikely.  
Imagine that, house builders agree to buy back defective new homes at current market value and refund all buyer's costs!  Its just not going to happen.

I know of one house that was falling down (Bellway Homes) due to being built using the wrong bricks and weak mortar. After the NHBC had made an attempt at sorting out the roof it made the house unstable.  
The owner was forced to move out and fence his house for safety reasons.
As far as I know Bellway did nothing and the NHBC eventually bought the house off him and  have by now either sold it on to a builder or demolished it.
I say as far as I know, because once the owner got what he wanted he refused to communicate having probably been gagged by the NHBC.

NewTWBuyer

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 06:46:08 pm »
A little update: I've got a face to face meeting at my house with the NHBC and someone from Taylor Wimpey on the 19th November.
If the Production Quality Manager dares to show either of his faces, I'll give him hell.
I'm tempted to record everything they say.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 07:34:38 am »
The 19 November is not exactly rushing is it?
But at least you are getting somewhere.
Be aware the NHBC inspector will meet the builder beforehand to discuss the history and strategy before they ring your doorbell.
You would be well-advised to audio record everything said at the meeting but don't tell them you are doing so.   

By the way Taylor Wimpey CEO Peter Redfern, tells me he appointed a "Customer Director" Charlie Waggett last month.  Mr Waggett reports directly to Mr Redfern.  charlie.waggett@taylorwimpey.com