'"> ');

Author Topic: Wind driven rain penetration  (Read 3804 times)

rossissor

Wind driven rain penetration
« on: February 15, 2020, 06:13:40 pm »
Has anyone had a problem with wind driven rain penetration in a new build property?

My house is now just over a year old and during periods of high wind and heavy rain (which is a lot....) there is a drip in the cavity of the timber frame on the exposed elevation. One thing I have noted is there are a lot of damaged weepers on this elevation, but even partially blocking them doesn't seem to make much of a difference. It sounds as though water is managing to ingress and is either dripping onto the cavity tray, or onto the lintel of the ground floor living room window.

I should point out there is no internal staining to any of the walls or ceilings. I accept a 'drip' sounds fairly minor but when trying to sleep at night it is incredibly annoying! The builder is still on site but doesn't seem overly enamoured about finding a solution. Any advice would be much appreciated.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Wind driven rain penetration
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 10:32:27 am »
First of all you shouldn't be blocking any "weepers" or weepholes as these are required to let water in the cavity out at cavity trays located above closed cavity such as air bricks, lintels, door and window openings and above fire barrier socks.

I am surprised you can hear dripping noise as the insulation in the timber frame should insulate the noise from you.  However, it is likely that the drip is flaling on to something any being amplified by the frame itself.

This does need looking into by the housebuilder. I expect there is an open mortar joint or an not fully filled mortar joint causing the problem. If left there is a possibility that in time, the timber frame will start to rot.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.