'"> ');

Author Topic: Stains on doors  (Read 9146 times)

ashwood3

Stains on doors
« on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:20 pm »
We have just purchased a new home and one of the things that came out of our snagging inspection was stains on most of the doors in the house. The snagging inspector has said that this is a defect but the builders aren't accepting it and are saying that's natural staining on oak doors. I have attached the picture of one such door.

Could I please get some guidance from NHE or anyone who knows anything about this?

Thanks in advance!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Stains on doors
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 07:01:14 am »
Clearly the door edge has not been sealed with varnish. It has bleached to some extent and the black staining may well be due to mould (or dirt.)

You said in another post:
"However, my concern is if they build during winter is there a higher chance of dampness of wood during build phase?"

No Oak I am aware of has black in the grain.

It can easily be rubbed down and varnished.
The fact that the house builders don't want to means you should name and shame them so others are warned. 
Be sure to give them negative responses in the 8-week survey you will be sent, especially a 'NO' to Q1.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

ashwood3

Re: Stains on doors
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 02:58:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply, NHE.
My suspicion is dampness or mould. Although they have "assured" it is not it.
I am going to raising this issue higher up the chain. Let's see how it goes.