'"> ');

Author Topic: Snagging and NHBC Warranty  (Read 6488 times)

Lizard

Snagging and NHBC Warranty
« on: July 17, 2019, 11:13:17 am »
I have a number of outstanding snagging issues - and are finding more faults as time passes.  Been in the property about 18 months.  My warranty was not registered initially by the solicitor - this has now been registered to myself. 

After speaking with the NHBC they advised me that the developer (named on my policy document) had to rectify problems for the first two years of the warranty.  On contacting the develper about the oustanding issues and new arising I am told by them that my home is out of the defects liablity period and they do not do that (meaning the 2 year warranty).

Two things - how do I get the developer to accept they have a responsiblity for the 2 year warranty and secondly would it be reasonable to flag up faults as they arise into the 2 year period.  Thanks in advance for your resposnses.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Snagging and NHBC Warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:37:54 am »
Who is the housebuilder?

You should write to the NHBC and ask that this builder is de-registered from the NHBC  as they clearly are breaching their requirements under the NHBC warranty. You should also ask the NHBC to appoint a contractor to carry out the work required.

It is perfectly reasonable and advisable to write to the builder and report all defects as and when they become evident. Even if they are not dealt with within the 2-year warranty period, the house builder is still on the hook if they are reported within the first 2 years.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:06 pm »
Cheers - when you say de-registered would this mean they will not be allowed to register any further properties they build under a warranty by the NHBC. 

Going back to the faults - I note on the NHBC site they have published requiements/specification documents/standards? Would this include both major and minor faults - i.e damaged window frames and/or insulation missing?   And would I have to meet the cost of the contractor - investigations/repairs?

Thanks in advance.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:17:31 am »
Yes, they won't be able to sell any new homes with an NHBC warranty if they are de-registered.

Write to the NHBC and you will find out.

You still haven't named the housebuilder!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 02:26:49 pm »
The house builder was Keepmoat - but I understand since last summer they are now Engie.  Not sure if they are all the same company or now a different one.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:18:57 am »
No.
Keepmoat Homes, very much still trading under that name.