'"> ');

Author Topic: Snag before Exchange?  (Read 11372 times)

SimonG

Snag before Exchange?
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:39:22 pm »
I am after some advice.

We are buying a 4 bed detached new-build home.
The house is the last of 2 remaining plots on the development, and is built by a small developer (they have completed 4 sites, about 30 units each). The house is complete, and has been on the market for a few months, so we went in quite a but under the asking price, especially when the estate agent told us there was no negioating on extra works, just reflect the works in our price.

The builder is not NHBC, and the warranty is Premier Guarantee. I am dealing with a pretty abrasive estate agent which is annoying me a bit!

There is quite a lot of cosmetic snagging issues in my view, marks on walls, sockets and light switches painted over, window vents left messy, poor door mastic etc. I had a professional snagging survey competeed today (awaiting report), and he says every room needs a good decoator to put right, but not a full decoration. He says the decorating is poor, but could be put right.

I have not yet excanged, and the devolper wants to exchange 28 days after draft contracts issued. I have paid a non-refundable £2,000 deposit.

So my question is - should I try and force the devoloper to finish the snagging before exchange?
He has agreed to put everyting right on the snagging report 'Within Reason'. I hear so many horror stories.....!

Unfortunately the estate agent is abrasive, seems to take the attitude of 'it is what it is' and gives the usual flannel about houses are built on sites and not factories etc.

Thanks in advance for advice.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Snag before Exchange?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:44:27 am »
Under no circumstances whatsoever should you exchange contracts on this house until all the snagging is done, and has been reinspected by your snagging inspector.

From what you have said the house is so bad I have to wonder why you actually put down a deposit on it.  For the record reservation fees are refundable and it is a requirement of the Consumer Code for Home Builders, which if push comes to shove you can use to get the majority of your reservation fee refunded. They can't call it a deposit to avoid it!

My advice would be to cancel and not buy the house. So many warning bells, especially no NHBC warranty, a small builder and their "within reason" comment.  They had an opportunity to do a good job in the first place and failed. You need to wonder what else is not to standard that you and your snagging inspector cannot see such as missing cavity insulation, incorrect floor joists etc.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

SimonG

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:19:27 am »
Thanks for the advice.

The though process that led me to put down the deposit was:

• I spoke to a few owners of neighbouring properties on the development, who seemed to be happy with the developer and had no outstanding snagging issues
  • I spoke to a a local building control officer who told me by and large,the development was good quality
  • The items that have been identified are all cosmetic and from experience of decorating, should not be that hard to put right (I ill need to see the full snagging report)

We have looked at a number of new builds and to be honest the quality of the finish in all of them was poor, I don't see why developers can't get the actual decorating right!

I will insist on the snagging being completed and agreed by my inspector before we exchange.

Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 07:32:58 am »
As I said, the decorating is what buyers mostly see. It is easy to get right and the fact it isn't shows how little care has gone into building the home properly.

It is the things that cannot now be seen, that develop such as creaking floors, cracking, flooding rear gardens, and missing insulation that buyers like you should worrying about especially if the decoration is bad!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

SimonG

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 01:47:46 pm »
Just as an update - we decided to pull out in the end, glad we got the report done!

Thanks for your help.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 06:03:24 am »
You did the right thing in my opinion.
One more soul saved!