'"> ');

Author Topic: Professional Snagging  (Read 14360 times)

firsttimebuyer

Professional Snagging
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:48:44 am »
Is it possible to get it written into the contract that you would like a professional snagging done before you complete on a property?
I have asked my solicitor about this but she didn't seem keen and said she'd have to get back to me?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Professional Snagging
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 06:27:41 am »
If you have used the housebuilder's preferred/recommended/suggested or one from their list, I doubt you will have any say or control over the process at all.  Some buyers get caught by the legal fees paid or cash back or stamp duty deals on condition you use the builder's solicitor.  Be sure though it is the absolute worst thing any new home buyer can do.

Assuming you have you own solicitor, one that has no connection at all with the housebuilder, I am sure they could make changes to the contract and send it back unsigned until the amendments are agreed.
You might like to quote the   Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
It is wholly unreasonable to prevent a new homebuyer from inspecting, or having their professional inspect on their behalf, their new home before completing on the purchase.

The APPG EBE Inquiry Report recommended it should be a mandatory right and I am currently working with several MPs to get this and other benefits for new homebuyers introduced.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

urfankhaliq

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:40:16 am »
Im using an independent solicitor and am unable to get the snagging clause placed in to the contract :(

My solicitor wasn't too keen either but I made her email Redrow and ask (and cc me) and the response we got from Redrow was a firm no.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:51 pm »
I would exchange contracts then.
You have to ask yourself why are they being so unreasonable?
What have the got, or are trying to hide?

E mail oliver.colvile.mp@parliament.uk  he needs to know about this as he (with me)  is trying to get it stopped.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

urfankhaliq

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:25:04 am »
From what I have gathered no developer ever allows this as a clause in contracts.
I have spoken to multiple snaggers and all told me the same.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 07:15:37 am »
This doesn't mean that all housebuilders will not allow a professional snagging inspector to survey a new home before legal completion.  It means they just want the right to refuse access, especially if they have something to hide, most likely the home isn't sufficiently finished for a snagging inspection!

As I said earlier, you should not legally complete on a new home without first having a snagging inspection!
Ask the many Bovis owners who are now wishing they had stood up to them before Christmas.
No amount of bribery money, will ever make up for a badly built rushed new home!

firsttimebuyer

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:24 am »
Hi,
I got my (independent) solicitor to ask the same to Barratt.
Barratt replied saying they would not agree to a professional snagging survey clause being added into the contract.
Where does this leave me?
I really like the site and have heard Barratt's are one of the better builders in terms of rectifying any problems.
Do I still go ahead and exchange contracts?
Do you think it would be possible to take a professional snagger along as a 'friend' before completion to make sure everything is OK?
Thanks again for your help 😊

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 12:33:24 pm »
I am surprised by Barratt's attitude to this.
I would question what they have got to hide (or fear!)
Write to the CEO david.thomas@barrattplc.co.uk and ask him why his so-called customer focused company is being so unreasonable.

I would also suggest that unless they "allow" you to have your own home inspected before legal completion, you would certainly be answering every question in the NHBC/HBF customer satisfaction survey negatively and encourage you neighbours to do the same. Then they can kiss goodbye to their coveted five star rating.

I will also send the CEO an e mail now.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 12:46:42 pm »
Dear Mr Thomas,

It has come to my attention that your company is point blank refusing to allow one of your customers to have their new home professionally snagged and inspected before legal completion after my recommendation.

I would question what your company is trying to hide?
There is no reason for denying this, as at that time, the home should be 100% fully completed so there are no H&S reasons or excuses.
It is the more galling that this buyer (and a member of my forum) was advised by me to buy their new home from Barratt and avoid at all costs Persimmon who they were intending to buy  from.  Now it would appear that there is no difference between 3 star and 5 star rated house builders.

I have strongly suggested he also write to you.
I have suggested he tell Barratt that unless he is allowed to have his own home inspected before legal completion, that he should  certainly be answering every question in the NHBC/HBF 8-week customer satisfaction survey as negatively as possible and encourage his new neighbours to do likewise.
Barratt may then  kiss goodbye to their coveted five star rating.

I am also quite prepared to inform my press and media contacts about this issue!

Regards

Phil

firsttimebuyer

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 09:54:30 pm »
Hi NHE,
Did you get a reply to your email?
I have emailed too - will let you know if I hear anything...

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 11:55:12 am »
No, and to be honest I didn't really expect to either!
The CEOs of PLC housebuilders care nothing for their customers.
All they care about is their Long Term Incentive Plan bonuses!

firsttimebuyer

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 07:21:37 pm »
NHE,

Sorry for my late reply but just wanted you to know that although I didn't get a reply to my email, Barratt's legal people spoke to mine and agreed to a professional snagging survey before completion. They didn't want to include it in the contract, but my solicitor said what they had sent in writing would suffice  :)

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 05:52:48 am »
You need a copy of that letter (from Persimmon) to give to your professional snagger.
Without it, he could be refused by the site management on the day.