'"> ');

Author Topic: New Build Brickwork  (Read 3035 times)

hoobs

New Build Brickwork
« on: July 03, 2021, 09:18:55 am »
The scaffolding has just come off our house, which is due to be completed early September.
I noticed straight away a couple of discoloured patches in the brickwork around the same position on the left and right hand edges of the rear wall. I am looking for some opinions on as to what the cause might be.
Is this the result of not mixing bricks correctly or might there be some other reason, e.g. bricks are damp/stained?
The fact that it occurs in the same place on both sides (and my blind optimism!) leads me to think that it might be the result of water draining from the scaffolding but I am clueless in these matters so any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: New Build Brickwork
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 12:35:15 pm »
Both ends of the house have rain water outlets.
My guess is the lack of downpipes mean rainwater drips out and was blown to the house at that point the last time it rained.
The rest of the brickwork is a uniform colour so I think it will dry out.

Not water draining from scaffold as the brickwork would likely be covered in mortar too.

Personally I don't like these bricks, but it looks quite good bricklaying. 
Check your stone cills are not damaged though!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

hoobs

Re: New Build Brickwork
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 05:28:54 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to respond. This puts my mind at ease.