'"> ');

Author Topic: How long after completing can you point out snags to the builder?  (Read 9176 times)

petercampbe11

How long after completing can you point out snags to the builder can you point out snags to the builder?

I know ideally this should be done before you legally complete or as soon as possible.
I just wondered if there was a time limit on this.

many thanks
Pete

Repton buyer

Re: How long after completing...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 07:12:32 am »
It will depend on the builder.

Our Taylor Wimpey home had a 2 week window for cosmetic snags (marks on walls, scratched windows, stains etc), 2 years for other snags.

After the 2 years, only structural faults can be claimed through the NHBC.

Certain things they will not touch regardless - appliances have their own warranty and oddly, a shower screen falls under an appliance.

Check your welcome pack documents or customer care portal on the builders website and you should be able to find what you need there.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: How long after completing can you point out snags to the builder?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 06:54:49 am »
You should report any and all defects to the housebuilder in writing to their regional office as soon as possible after they become apparent. Please have your new home professionally snagged and inspected before you legally complete. I recommend Tim Fee Snagging Inspections .co.uk 07768 900200

It is true that scratches chips and damage may be difficult to prove the longer you leave it as quite often the housebuilder will claim it was not damaged at handover. This is why you sign the key handover certificate to confirm.

The housebuilder is responsible for all defects that arise in the fist two years and any that were reported within the two year period but not successfully remediated.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.