'"> ');

Author Topic: HELP - 1ST FLOOR - 18mm caber board - 600mm centres on joists ?  (Read 12460 times)

photosolo

HELP - 1ST FLOOR - 18mm caber board - 600mm centres on joists ?
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:13:22 pm »
We are in the process of a self build, the timber frame (SIP) manufacturer have just finished on site.
But it's just been pointed out to us by another trade that our floors are 18mm Caberboard supported on 600mm centres joists.
The suggestion was that this is not up to building regs
If 18mm then they should be on 400mm joists
or 22mm would be fine for 600mm joists

Can anyone shed any more light on this before I take it up with the timber frame company?
I can't seem to find the necessary documents.

The builds in Wales if that makes any difference ?

Any help on this would be much appreciated
Many thanks
Dan

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: HELP - 1ST FLOOR - 18mm caber board - 600mm centres on joists ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 09:15:33 am »
Building your own home means you are in a position to ensure you get a high quality home to the specification you want.

Unfortunately, it would appear the timber frame company have designed the joist centres to save them money.

As far as standards are required it is 18mm Caberfloor T&G MR chipboard on 400mm centres joists
and 22mm Caberfloor T&G MR chipboard on 600mm centres joists.

That said 400mm centres joist will not deflect as much and I would have gone for the 22mm thick boards on 400 centres joists.  I would have also chosen to have floor cassettes using posi-joists as picture.

It is your home, you have the final say!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

photosolo

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:54:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply,
They are Posi-joists but sadly it seems they've tried to save cash with using 18mm & 600mm distance.

Ive dug out the contract & it specifically says they would use 22mm flooring. hmm

I called to point this out this morning & am currently awaiting their reply as they are looking into it.

My concern is that the warranty guy or building regs officer may not sign this off ?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:58:52 am »
Are you sure the flooring isn't just a temporary ply covering for heath and safety?
Posi-joist floor cassettes usually have this.

22mmm thick T&G chipboard MR is a must have!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

photosolo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:04:53 am »
100% stud walls are all in place, the company have finished on site.
They’re now keen to get the final payment off me...
I’ve put the question to them & am awaiting their response.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 09:49:42 am »
Now the studwalls are on the flooring, they will have to be taken down to fit 22mm think flooring.
I would withhold all payments until you get what you are paying for.
You need to be firm and strong!

photosolo

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 06:24:56 pm »
I’ve just come out of a meeting with them, they’ve held their hands up & admitted their error. The suggested solution is to glue & screw a second layer of 18mm board on top of the 1st lot running in the other direction.?
I still think they’d need to remove the stud walls as opposed to butting upto them??

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 07:42:34 am »
Somehow, I thought they would suggest this bodge.
Firstly two layers is not as strong as one thicker board.
Secondly, it is impossible to lay boards on top of existing in the opposite direction as the new ones will not cross the joists and only be supported and fixed to the existing flooring.
Thirdly, There will be extra weight on the floor which I don't think would have been allowed for.

Do not accept this bodge!
The studwork needs to be removed and the old 18mm removed and 22mm T&G MR flooring fixed to the joists.

Be careful that the staircase is ordered to suit a measured as is, storey height and not from the plans!