'"> ');

Author Topic: Flooring & Ceiling creaking  (Read 7036 times)

otbc

Flooring & Ceiling creaking
« on: March 29, 2019, 01:04:49 pm »
I'm hoping someone might be able to give a little advice if possible please with our shared ownership home!

I've had a loud creaking sound coming from the upstairs of my home on the landing (both the main and second bedroom) when walked on. Our builders have come out as part of the end of the year long defects period and have fixed the second bedroom bit and I've had quite the fight getting them out to fix the main bedroom (as they say it wasn't mentioned at the end of defects meeting, but we did state the landing as a whole!)

Anyway - it looked like the issue was the partition stud wall and the floorboards, so they've screwed the stud wall to the floorboards and this has fixed the spare room, but unfortunately the noise is just as loud for the landing by the main bedroom even after screwing the wall to the floorboards.

The wall causing the issue upstairs is directly above another partition wall downstairs, and whenever you walk on that area upstairs it's causing a huge noise via the downstairs ceiling - even though you can only just hear it from the upstairs floor itself. The builder today has told me there's not much that can be done about that as it'll be the joist rubbing against the metal stud wall downstairs on the ceiling and they'll not be able to fix it as part of the defects period as the whole ceiling area would need taking out and quieter sound-proofing put in?

Is there anything I can do about this? It's driving us absolutely nuts and will presumably just get worse with time? Our warranty is with LABC rather than NHBC and from what I understand if we needed to claim on this it'd cost us at least £1000?!?! I can't understand how something as noisy as this could ever be called built to an acceptable standard!

Anyway, any help really appreciated - I don't have a clue about this sort of stuff so have no idea where to start or what to do.

Regards

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Flooring & Ceiling creaking
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:40:54 am »
Unlike the NHBC warranty which has a minimum claim value of around £1,500, below that they won't do anything, the LABC and Premier Guarantee (same warranty in all but name) have an excess of £1,000 that buyers must pay the first £1,000 of the cost of any claim.

There could be many reasons for the creaking noises. If you search this forum for noisy floors etc.

What is wrong is the builder's comment "nothing can be done"
We are talking about a house here, not someone with terminal cancer!
Of course something can be done but it may be expensive, time consuming for the builder and inconvenient for you.

Your best bet is to continue to complain to the housebuilder. Under a normal new home warranty, housebuilders are responsible for fixing defects for two years, irrespective of the shared ownership 1 year DLP.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector