'"> ');

Author Topic: Damage left by tradesman after job  (Read 8685 times)

Miso228

Damage left by tradesman after job
« on: September 13, 2018, 06:09:49 pm »
My builder repainted my house within my first 2 years due to rendering patching that needed doing.
The painters left a mess and I’m left with render paint on my drive and also damaged window frames as they used bleach to clean them after the job. The builder has tried to clean the paint - and failed!

The windows have been buffed up but now have yellow streaks. The builder called in NHBC for dispute resolution without offering any further resolution. Surely if the job had been performed by them and liability accepted by them for the damage then they should still be made to put it right? Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Damage left by tradesman after job
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:16:43 am »
Name the housebuilder and I will reply with advice.
Others need to know.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Miso228

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:17:58 am »
Linden homes

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:43:08 am »
It is clear cut and presumably not denied by Linden Homes that their contractor did not take sufficient care and properly protect surrounding arears when your previously patched up self-colour render was painted.

The very fact that they have tried (and failed) to clean the paint off the windows shows they accept liability.

My opinion for what it is worth is that Linden are not prepared to pay for the windows to be changed and all the associated making good internally and are trying to delay doing so by suggesting you raise this as a dispute with the NHBC.

I would advise you write to the NHBC and make a claim under your warranty for the windows to be replaced and other items affected be resolved to your satisfaction. I cannot foresee any NHBC inspector siding with Linden Homes.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Miso228

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:00:05 pm »
The NHBC inspected on a rainy day when the drive paint spalashes were not really visible and the window frames were wet and reflective. He ruled that drive ok, windows ok but builder must get paint off front steps and drive edging strip.
I disagreed there and then and have since sent further photos to the NHBC to appeal, awaiting there response.
We also had a crack in the render filled in and painted over at the same time and the crack has returned exactly the same, about 2m down the front of the house - I was told by NHBC that this is settlement even though it’s been repaired and returned.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:18:44 am »
The inspector can only offer his "opinion" on the day.
You are right to appeal it but it looks like a case of the NHBC siding with Linden Homes.

Regarding the crack, the inspector should not have been so dismissive. Cracks are not only caused by 'settlement', they are caused by movement, which can be differential or thermal as well as subsidence.

The crack has re appeared because a movement joint was not allowed for, or built correctly.
It could also be as a result of a lack of localised reinforcement in the render - both as per manufacturer's instructions yet not being adhered to.