'"> ');

Author Topic: Creaking Ceiling  (Read 5347 times)

Yoddle

Creaking Ceiling
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:40:04 am »
Firstly, thank you for the excellent forum. I have found a ton of information about my potential issues whilst browsing here.

I moved into my new build about 6 weeks ago and recently noticed that there is a terrible creaking / cracking noise that can be heard in some of the rooms on the ground floor when someone is walking above.

The builder Morris Homes sent someone round who has added screws from below to better secure the boards into the joists, but after reading some of the information on here it seems that was a complete waste of time. The video below was recorded after their supposed fix.

After walking in the room above, you can actually press firmly on the ceiling from below and it will similar noises as to when someone is walking above; does this indicate what the issue may be?

Waiting to hear back about the next steps, but I am curious if anyone here has any input. I did read the NHBC statement about the noise originating from dabs that have crept behind the ceiling boards, but my noise seems to come from all over.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Creaking Ceiling
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 07:59:48 am »
This issue cannot be solved by doing the simple bodging that most plc housebuilders try.
It needs proper investigation.

My best guess is that the joists are inadequate for the spans and/or are spread to far apart.
This means the floor and the ceiling will deflect causing everything to move and make the sounds you are hearing.

If Morris Homes propose taking down your ceilings and fitting resilient bar, you can tell them form me it won't stop the noises!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Yoddle

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:48:22 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

The contracts manager visited today who said they haven't come across anything like it before, so someone else is coming round tomorrow.

Is there any way for me to post the video without it coming up has "invalid link"?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:29:09 am »
Re the video, I don't know what's wrong but the YouTube link thingy doesn't seem to work anymore.

Not a great loss, as many previous YouTube buyer's videos get taken down as a condition of the deal they eventually reach with the housebuilder and the NDA.  This makes some posts longer and untidy without the video.

As for "haven't come across anything like this before"  read as
"this is going to cost a fortune to sort out and the decision is above my pay grade"
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.