'"> ');

Author Topic: Cracks in brickwork  (Read 2925 times)

Spinksa

Cracks in brickwork
« on: July 29, 2021, 03:18:06 pm »
I've been in my new Taylor Wimpey home in Milton Keynes for over 18 months now and have noticed some cracks in the brickwork.

Cracks appear randomly in the same section of brickwork and seem to get wider at the bottom

Have also seem some splitting under my DPC which could be an issue but this has occurred in different part of the house (see attached pictures)

What could have caused this? Thermal movement? Settlement cracks? or movement?

Have informed Taylor Wimpy and waiting for a reply.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Cracks in brickwork
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 09:09:51 am »
The second and third pictures are cracked bricks and are normal caused in the kiln.
The first picture could be caused by anything. If it is at a corner then it may be from a collision during construction.
It could be heave or subsidence or due to weak mortar which Taylor Wimpey have history of!

At last you have reported it within the first tow years so Taylor Wimpey will be on the hook should it get worse for the next 8 years too.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.