'"> ');

Author Topic: Cold bedroom above Garage  (Read 2932 times)

IMABear

Cold bedroom above Garage
« on: November 30, 2021, 11:38:45 am »
We took possession of a Bellway house with an attached garage in February 2020.

The 3rd bedroom is over the garage and hasn't been used much in that time.
We have a new baby son who will be moving in to the room in a few months and we've noticed how cold the room is compared to the other bedrooms.

I am assuming this is due to it being above the garage.

Question is, how do I know if the ceiling/floor insulation is compliant with acceptable heat loss values - anybody know where I can find that information or give a bit of advice.

Thanks

Matron

Re: Cold bedroom above Garage
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 02:48:27 pm »
We are in a Bellway home and had the same problem (as did many others on our estate) and contacted their Customer Services who sent someone to check the insulation between the garage and bedroom floor. It turned out as we expected, there wasn’t any insulation so they very quickly rectified the situation and within a week they replaced the missing insulation and the bedroom is now warm. There are probably many more residents on your estate with the same problem but from experience Bellway did act very quickly although it should have been insulated during the building of the house.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Cold bedroom above Garage
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 12:15:10 pm »
I agree the chances are that the garage ceiling/bedroom floor does not have any insulation in it and also perhaps neither does the roof space.

Missing insulation in new homes is commonplace and the energy performance certificate is often a tick box desktop exercise.

A thermal imaging camera or a professional thermal imaging survey will confirm this.
Give Paul Buckingham a call. https://www.sustainablelifestyles.co.uk/
Sustainable Lifestyles Ltd   Energy Efficient Healthy Homes
​Tel. 07802935827  E-mail paul@sustainablelifestyles.co.uk

Bellway have a lot to answer for here!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.