'"> ');

Author Topic: Ceiling Microcracking  (Read 9779 times)

Kate123

Ceiling Microcracking
« on: April 09, 2021, 10:45:25 am »
New to this forum and hoping for some advice. We have a newbuild built by a small local developer.
We have had a number of snagging issues but the main one is that of the dreading cracking noises in the ceilings that are heard from below 'microcracking'. Floor was re-screwed down/glued etc, noggins tightened etc but still cracking noise from below. We had a surveyor come out who advised the ceilings are replaced but the warranty holder has suggested a resilient layer is installed.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give on if they've had a positive outcome with a resilient layer or who can suggest an expert surveyor in this issue to come out and do a report, our surveyor for example hadn't come across this specific issue before.

Thanks

Maxell

Re: Ceiling Microcracking
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 11:02:31 am »
Hi , micro cracking is the deflection in the joists causing the plasterboard is make the small cracking noises . A resilient ceiling will remove your existing plasterboard and new a ceiling is added but isolated from the joists .The work is disruptive but if your builder is offering to carry out the work I would let him .

Regards Maxell

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 07:24:26 am »
This issue has been posted and answered many times on this forum.
Resilient bar may not be the solution and is as Maxwell states very disruptive.
Try searching "ceiling cracking creaking noises" in the forum search bar.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Kate123

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 09:08:12 am »
Thank you for the responses, we are still waiting for the developer to come back to us as it was the warranty holder who made the suggestion.

I have spent many hours Googling this issue and post because while I can find information on resilient bars I can't on find anything on resilient layers resolving the problem. But I will look again as suggested.

Again if anyone can suggest a surveyor who has specific experience in this area I would be grateful - all the surveyors I have spoken to have never heard of issue before.

Thanks Kate

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 06:50:00 am »
There is no such thing as "resilient layers".

What is done is the builder will rip out your ground floor celings and then fix metal "z" shaped bars tot he ceiling joists and the new plasterboard ceiling will be fixed the the metal bars not the floor itself.

In all probability this probably won't solve the issue.

Read this Joint Statement on the cause of what you have and the solution.  The NHBC are or shoudl be aware of this as they were involved in the research!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Kate123

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 01:47:38 pm »
We sent the joint statement to the warranty holder with the report from the surveyor but they said their advice to the Developer was a resilient layer hence my confusion over the term used.

The warranty holder isn't NHBC it is HomeProof (was Aedis). The Developer still hasn't come back to us 3 months later and HomeProof are ignoring our emails and calls asking for an update.

Kate123

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 04:37:59 pm »
An update, the warranty holder Homeproof (Aedis) have come back and said they don't consider it a 'Major Issue' and they and the Developer are not liable.

This is without an inspection by themselves and on the word of the Developer - so I guess the next step is legal advice...

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 01:00:57 pm »
And herein lies the problem of a worthless warranty! 
Whilst the NHBC can be problematic, they do have their size and reputation to consider.

You could try a claim to the Financial Ombudsman Services as your warranty provider Homeproof (Aedis) isn't behaving in a very professional manner in my opinion. 

Legal action is of course another potentially expensive option for you.

Let the builder fit the resilient bar and if it doesn't solve it,  then sue them would be my advice.

Kate123

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 12:11:34 pm »
The builder is refusing to do any work which is why we involved the warranty holder.
I do feel Aedis are being unprofessional and have queried how they have come to their conclusion without even coming out to inspect the issue.
The only option I think is to get a full inspection done by a surveyor and structural engineer which of course is £££. We are in Cambridge area, can anyone recommend a surveyor who is good at this issue?
Thanks