'"> ');

Author Topic: Being forced into completion  (Read 13713 times)

blueclouds09

Being forced into completion
« on: July 02, 2016, 10:51:31 am »
Purchasing a house with Bovis and on Friday we received a notice to complete. The Monday following we inspected the property with an independent snagging inspector who was astounded as we were that the house is still full of workman and has several things left to do in order for us to be able to occupy.

Shower controls not fitted, cracked window, missing tiles, floor not level. The inspector said it's impossible to snag when Bovis hasn't even snagged themselves yet as only after workmen leave can you snag.

Anyhow Bovis sent a letter stating we must complete as the house is now ready for occupation. We replied on the Monday after with pictures and a report to state that this is not the case and are awaiting a reply.

I do not want to complete without all the major snags being rectified nor do I want to lose my deposit due to breach of contract.

Any help and advice is appreciated, perhaps I have an advantage that we were quickly and clearly able to contradict their statement that the house is ready for occupation.

P.S They also stated that we had agreed for completion to take place by the 30th of June which was never agreed by us. After reading further on this site I can see that date tallies nicely with their financial quarter!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Being forced into completion
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 11:17:55 am »
Actually 30 June is Bovis financial half-year figures date nearly ad bad as year end dates!

1) Do not be pressured into legally completing if the home isn't finished or ready for occupation.
If there are workman still working it isn't finished!
2) The NHBC will need to carry out a final CML inspection before you can legally complete, however this does not guarantee or rule out the possibility that there will be lots of snags and/or incomplete work.
3) Once Bovis (and most other house builders for that matter) have all the money, they are disinclined to return to carry out snagging whatever they may tell you before legal completion.
4) Bovis have possibly the WORST record in my experience for customer service after care. If its not 100% when you move in, it is likely to remain so.
5) Bovis are required to give you 14 days notice of legal completion. (10 working days)
Obviously, if they do this before the home is 100% finished and it isn't on completion day, then you should not legally complete.

My advice is stick to your guns, don't move in until all your inspector's snaglist has been rectified and your home reinspected.  He is quite right by the way saying he cannot snag until all the work is complete. He cant check what isn't there, or isn't finished. If I were you I would get Bovis to pay his fees!

Bovis are Britain's worst housebuilder (for quality and service) in my opinion! Rated 3 stars for a reason!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

blueclouds09

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 12:45:44 am »
Thank you for your fast reply! I will do exactly that and keep you posted on how it goes.

anthyboy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:10:49 pm »
If I was you I would instruct your solicitor IN WRITING(email) not to complete until you have given them express permission to do so! In that email I would CC whoever you are dealing with at Bovis.

The reasons for doing this is:

1. to make sure solicitor will not go behind your back and complete the purchase (as you have categorically stated not to). If he does then this gives you recourse as he has gone against your instruction as the client. This is especially important if you have used Bovis solicitor.

2. This will let Bovis know that you are serious when you state you WILL NOT COMPLETE till you are 100% happy!

I would also ask Bovis to prove when this 30 June completion date was agreed? Your solicitor should be able to help state whether this was agreed on his part!

I echo NHE, do not be bullied or pressurised until you are 100% happy. I would go as far as deliberately making sure you don't move in before half year date.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 07:54:33 am »
I would go as far as deliberately making sure you don't move in before half year date.

It's good to have the upper hand!
But now it is after 30 June so unless they included your home in their figures despite the fact you haven't legally completed (which is fraud) they won't be that bothered if it takes another week or another month now.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.