'"> ');

Author Topic: Back garden  (Read 6288 times)

Mplatt

Back garden
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:34:50 pm »
We bought a new built 3 bedroom home with a 60sq meter (540 Sq feet) back garden.
Everything was nice through the first year, grass was green and we didn't see many problems. After a first winter I noticed a lot of moss, so I raked it and overseeded garden.

Next year was much worse and this year it was just terrible. I called in a gardner to fix it because obviously the problem was much worse than gardening capabilities. The gardener told me that in order to fix the lawn he would have to remake everything. Because the garden has literally 2 inches of topsoil (including grass) put on top of some nasty clay mixed with rubble, no drainage nothing. The soil was just rotting in pooling water during the winter season.

According to the gardener the grass didn't have a chance of surviving longer than 2 years and I did well trying to keep it alive 3 years. His estimate was £3,000. It's a lot of money for me and I feel cheated by the developer. So my question is. Is there any industry standard that would oblige developers to make back gardens with a sand base, drainage etc, or are they allowed just to make something that looks like a lawn but has no way of functioning like one in a longer period of time. What are your thoughts and experiences?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Back garden
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:53:43 am »
It is an NHBC warranty standard that topsoil must be at least 150mm thick. In addition, the ground below must be free from building debris and hardcore.

As you are now in year 3 the 2-year warranty no longer applies and the NHBC wont be much help either.
All you can do is write (send photos) the housebuilder and ask for a contribution towards the cost of fixing it.  If they refuse, go to your local press, national newspapers and post von social media especially Twitter!

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.