'"> ');

Author Topic: Another DPC problem  (Read 13856 times)

Poohbore

Another DPC problem
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:30:26 pm »
We bought our new home just before Christmas last year and put the height of the drive in relation to the DPC on the snagging list.

The problem is the drive slopes down from the footpath to the garage but also from the garage to the house.
The drive adjacent to the house then has a minimal fall from the garage end back towards the footpath aiming for a gulley that is next to the path.  
Unfortunately the drive rises to the gulley so the water goes into a planting bed at the front of the house.  
I've read through Part C and unfortunately that only makes a suggestion on how to comply to keep moisture out of the walls.

Forward 9 months of getting nowhere with the builder and also having ultimatums pass by we had a resolution meeting with NHBC and the Site Manager from the builder.  

Anyway his view is that the builder needs to put an Aco channel in next to the house and that will be sufficient.

SWMBO mentioned that she can't believe people have no pride in their work anymore and the arbitrator said well if the did then I wouldn't have a job!

I pointed out that the builder was in total control of line and level on the development as it was a green field before they started and they got it wrong so why should I accept a bodge which isn't in accordance with their recommendations only in accordance with a permitted alternative?

"Sorry sir but you don't understand that there are regulations and recommendations and this situation is a recommendation."

I've told the Site Manager I don't accept what has been suggested and that I want the drive lowered and a positive drainage system installed to deal with the water properly.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Another DPC problem
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:40:17 am »
You are quite right to stick to your guns on this.
It clearly does not comply with NHBC standards and adding an Aco channel is just a "sticking plaster on the wound"
What about the future when you want to sell.  What if the channel or drainage gets blocked or there is exceptional rainfall.

You do not mention who the house builder is or what the detail of the drive/dpc issue was, but I guess the dpc is not at least 150mm above the drive so that compounds the problem further.

It makes you wonder why the NHBC seem to 'side' with house builders rather than instructing them to do it again and comply with their standards.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Poohbore

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:15:41 pm »
The developer is Taylor Wimpey and the dpc to drive measurement is 60- 80mm as recorded by the NHBC Arbitrator.

The site manager pointed out to my wife this morning the ACO's that have been delivered to install on the drive so our objections are not being reviewed or discussed by them.

She is currently tracking down the regional director.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:40:53 am »
The minimum distance between finished ground level and DPC is 150mm.
This is a statutory building regulation as well as an NHBC standard.
NHBC standards 6.1 S4  states:
"At ground level, all parts of the dpc should be at least 150mm above finished ground or paving level."

You should refuse to let them install ACO channels until your complaint has been reviewed by the NHBC.
As for Taylor Wimpey Regional directors you should e mail   michelle.grant@taylorwimpey.com

To post a photo, it will need to be a certain size. Click on "Additional options"  then "attach: Choose file"  find the picture you want to upload in your PC My pictures folder click "open" and then click "Post"
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

tommyshearing

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 02:20:53 am »
Please can you let me know what happened with your dispute with your builder and NHBC over your DPC, as I am currently in dispute with Bloor Homes and NHBC over my DPC.  Thanks Tom