'"> ');

Author Topic: advice on standards of brickwork...  (Read 2937 times)

Ben823

advice on standards of brickwork...
« on: September 17, 2020, 12:47:41 pm »
1st time poster!

We are in the process of buying a new build house and have been keeping an eye on progress over the last few weeks. We haven't yet exchanged and will be talking to the site manager in the next couple of weeks but I wondered if there are any builders/brickies/surveyors who could give some guidance on the brickwork around the front porch and the method of build...

Photo 1 - I noticed that they had left some of the mortar out and assumed that was to allow for the flashing.
Photo 2 - They then removed a number of bricks.
Photo 3 - Bricks replaced and flashing now installed.

Questions:
Why did they remove the bricks??? (They did the same on the neighbouring property as well)
Can I trust that they have replaced the cavity insulation?
Can I trust that the debris hasn't fallen down the cavity and will cause a problem?
Opinions please on the quality of the pointing. The mortar on the corner bricks are particularly bad... Am I being too picky?

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maxell

Re: advice on standards of brickwork...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 06:50:02 pm »
Probably cavity trays , the insulation might be blown in later .
Good they are sorting it out.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:05:31 am »
Looks like the cavity trays were too low or missing and they have been addressed which is good, especially for an external soffit.
It would seem no cavity insulation is installed but this will (should) be blown in before drylining.

As for the mortar colour, this may weather down (eventually) or it could be tinted. Tea is good for darkening.
Please ensure you have your new home professionally inspected and snagged before you legally complete.
You will need to have the cavity insulation checked by boroscope camera.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Ben823

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »
Thank you. I'm surprised they have used 'wool - like' insulation. I thought the Celotex type sheets were normally used nowadays and doesn't bridge the cavity?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:12:05 pm »
The wool like is often made out of recycled shredded plastic. It cannot transfer water from one side of the cavity to the other.
Mineral wool and "rockwool" have also been used successfully for years.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.