'"> ');

Author Topic: Advice on garden topsoil  (Read 3359 times)

Jay.EX

Advice on garden topsoil
« on: January 06, 2022, 07:18:19 pm »
I am new to this forum and been lurking some topics without account but I think I need your advice now.
I will be moving to new home soon and been visiting recently as works are almost complete,

Bit worried about garden, is this clay thingy visible on pictures count as topsoil?
Bit worried that developer will just drop turf on this which will most likely not survive,

What do you think?

Also can someone refer me company/individual to do snagging survey in Exeter, Devon? Please email/PM me.

Many thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Advice on garden topsoil
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 12:24:51 pm »
It really does look like the clay rubbish as spread is what you are getting. See other homes and it is now impossible to add topsoil or take away clay without removing fences for machine access. (unless it is done by had with wheelbarrows!)

As it is, what will happen is:
1) The turf will get waterlogged and die. and 2) In the summer, the turf will die because of no moisture in the ground.

It is an NHBC warranty standard/requirement that at least 150mm of proper topsoil is spread with no obstructions or rubbish underneath.

Of course you will still have a clay sub soil with all the drainage issues that come with it.

As for snagging survey try Martyn Maxwell at New Build Inspections.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Jay.EX

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 07:44:36 pm »
Thanks for your answer,

Is there any standard for topsoil?

I am very much not an expert on soil and I might argue with developer but then they will say that this top soil for them.
Not sure how to approach them with it.
Obviously they drop turf on that as I expected,
Chances that this will survive is 0%

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 08:03:01 am »
Weeds grow in paths so there may be hope but it will waterlog in winter and dry out in summer.

I am no soil expert either. In my experience the backer it is the better. It should be able to be crumbled in your hand and it should be free draining. 

I cant see anyone doubting this isn't mostly clay, as you could always have it analysed in a lab.
Pity you let them put turf on top as it is now more costly and you will be forced to wait until the turf dies.
WRITE to the housebuilder now and tell then you are not accepting it as it is because the grass will die.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Jay.EX

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 12:13:54 pm »
Hey Guys,

So want to follow up on this,
Has anyone had topsoil testing to to BS 3882 for your new build garden?
Does new build need to comply to BS 3882 within NHBC?

Anyone can recommend me where I can test it?

Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 08:05:35 am »
Topsoil on new homes developments tends to be whatever was there as a green field, which is stripped and stockpiled and used once the home is complete.  During the process, it can become contaminated with subsoil and general rubbish.
Imported topsoil can be required to meet a specification, but again it may be moved from another site which may have a surplus.

As for testing, Google Topsoil analysis.