'"> ');

Author Topic: 5 years on and water coming in  (Read 5877 times)

Brynelis11111

5 years on and water coming in
« on: June 17, 2019, 12:51:47 am »

I wonder if someone can help. We moved into our new home just over 5 years ago and ever since we have had water come in through our kitchen roof after heavy wind and rain.
Six ets of cavity trays fitted and a new new roof. Last week was their twelfth attempt  at trying to fix the problem whatever it is!!

In addition our vinyl flooring in our kitchen is bubbling and we're in the process of having it replaced for the third time.

I wonder where we stand with compensation?
I have asked if they would buy the house back and they kindly refused.
Any help would help us??

Thanks

Brynelis11111

Re: 5 years on and water coming in
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:59:15 am »
Some photos of past and present

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 09:09:13 am »
First of all it looks to me that it is a conservatory which has a flat roof.

The cavity trays which are now formed in lead with welted stop ends should mean no water is getting in via the cavity/external wall.

But being a flat roof, water can be blown up UNDER the lead flashing on the roof.
There would need to be a stop or secret gutter to prevent this. In addition, the lower lead at the laps needs to have the end turned back on itself again to stop water being blown along the lead and then under.

As for compensation, you need to decide how much is fair and justified and write and claim this.
I would wait until the problem is 100% resolved though.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Brynelis11111

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:16:22 am »
Its not a conservatory its part of our kitchen. We thought it was fixed 2 years ago after having a new roof but back in March water started to come in again.
It's taken nearly 2 years for it to happen again. This is their 12th attempt at try to fix it! They have taken 3 courses of bricks out 4 times and put different trays in and yet still water is coming in! These trays have been sealed under and anywhere else where it could come in. How many times do you think it's acceptable? It's been 5 and half years now and they still can't fix it! We have even had a surveyor come out and he basically said its due to the weather we have! What a load of bull!

I just dont know what to do next!