'"> ');

Author Topic: Story Homes  (Read 23534 times)

Mel

Story Homes
« on: April 25, 2016, 05:57:35 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site and was wondering if any of you have feedback on Story Homes? 
My partner and I are in the early stages of buying with them, still waiting for searches etc before we sign the contract.  I can't find any feedback anywhere about them. 
I also what is the 'normal' length of time for an average 4 bed detached to be built from scratch including kitchen, bathrooms, carpets etc. 
Thanks   

anthyboy

Re: Story Homes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:32:53 pm »
Hi Mel,

If you look under General Discussions for the Walker Gp post, that should provide you with a good starting point for alot of your questions.

Like you I brought a new build with a fairly unknown and relatively small house builder (I have not heard of them and I done alot of research on house builders), I believe this will be a helpful insight as I have documented my entire dealings from initial inquires through to as it stands living in the house for a year!

Any questions please ask, but I am sure you will get replies from people with alot more knowledge than me!

Good luck

Regards

Ant

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Mel

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:56:19 pm »
Hi Ant, thanks for your reply.
I've just read all your posts and found it very helpful, I'm in a very similar situation. 
I've done lots of research about Story and haven't found any bad press 'yet'. 
They are a Cumbrian based company and they are just starting to branch out in the North East where I'm buying.  Been to Cumbria to visit lots of their show homes and we were very impressed indeed, much bigger than some of the more 'well known' developers.                         

Got mortgage in place and solicitor, didn't use theirs.  There homes are quite high spec depending on the site.

Will post more info as we go along.

Cheers, Mel

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:55:45 am »
OK here we go.
It takes between 16 and 26 weeks to build the "average" four bedroom new home.
The actual time will depend on a number of things such as the weather, type of construction, site ground conditions and the availability of labour and materials and the experience and capability of the site manager.
You are presumably buying a home yet to be started, so at least it is being built in the summer months.
Under the Consumer Code for HomeBuilders Story are required to keep you informed of progress and any delays.

Story homes are pretty small. That can be bad and it can be good too.

Since Story started to use industry's  HBF star rating in 2014, they have been rated five stars by their own customers in the 8-week Customer Satisfaction survey. This sounds good, but the total number of homebuyers that completed Story Homes surveys was just 357 - 184 of those being last year alone!
In addition the Survey and Star rating can be manipulated by builders as it is run by the NHBC and builders can incentivise new buyers if they see their results are not what they want or need.

The other good news for you is you did not use the builder's choice of solicitor!
A common mistake new homebuyers make, with many choosing to pocket the builder's bribe for doing this.

So providing Story "allow" your snagging inspector access to your home before you legally complete and undertake to rectify any snags or defects you should be in a better position than many!

I would advise you to read the information on the main website such as this as well as articles in my blog
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Mel

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 07:22:24 pm »
Thanks for all the above, I'm finding this site very informative.  I'm sure I'll be posting some more questions if I can't find the answer on here.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:51:08 am »
The main website has everything you need.
Use the search bar on the Home Page.
If you can tell others about the website too.
The British public need to know how they can protect themselves, if they want to buy a new home.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Applemac

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:49:31 pm »
Possibly too late for you but if you have not yet bought a Story Homes house you should read the other posts on this website:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/New-Homes-and-House-Builders/Story-Homes-www-storyhomes-co-uk-reviews_3787087

http://forum.brand-newhomes.co.uk/house-builders/our-story-homes-nightmare/msg2937/#msg2937

Caveat emptor!