'"> ');

Author Topic: Service Charges on new build developments  (Read 9033 times)

Larwood32

Service Charges on new build developments
« on: April 20, 2021, 08:49:32 pm »
Hi Thanks for looking

We are on a new build estate and we pay £185 a year for the company to look after the grounds, the normal thing now on new estates.

My issue is they aren't doing what they said they would do in the contract, ie litter picking repairing the small park emptying the bins etc. We have contacted the company who have ignored all emails. 

Also the company has changed they were called SDL property now they are called Wise estates, but its the same people. They just did it without discussing it with the people who live on the estate.

My question if anyone knows where do I stand legally, 1 I have no contract with new company 2 I am refusing to pay because for me they are in breach of contract, any advice much appreciated.   

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Service Charges on new build developments
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 07:10:40 am »
Your contract will state that maintenance will be carried out and you will pay a proportion for this.
It makes no matter which company actually does the work or is responsible for managing the work. Most managing agents use sub contract labour and that can also change.

The works stated should be completed at the intervals stated. Failure could be deemed a breach of contract.
You should ask a solicitor before withholding payments.

Lastly, it is not Normal" for all new build estates to charge for cutting grass. If buyers stopped buying on these sites the developers would be forced to have these areas adopted by the local council as it has been for many years.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.