'"> ');

Author Topic: Reservation form mess up!  (Read 6134 times)

Hfowle

Reservation form mess up!
« on: July 26, 2020, 01:31:52 pm »
I'm a  new member hoping for some help with the purchase of a new build property with Mulberry Developments.

We are right at the beginning of the process whereby they have sent my partner and I the reservation form which we read over to ensure all the details were correct and subsequently signed it and returned it.

We have now received a call from the sales agent stating that the price of the property was entered incorrectly onto the reservation form stating it was done by human error and they were now stating that they had to increase the property value.

Where do we stand with this?
Basically can they do this or can I stand my ground that they have made the mistake and have to honour what’s already been signed/agreed?

Thanks

Hayden

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Reservation form mess up!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 09:06:11 am »
This is totally unethical and in all probability against the law Consumer Protections Regulations (2008) and certainly against contract law whereby a legally enforceable contract is entered into with an "offer" and an "acceptance" of that offer.  This can even be verbally.

You will need proof. Mulberry's price list would be good enough or a screen shot of their website perhaps.  They don't "have to" increase the price  - they chose to!

If it was me I would now be wary of them as clearly they cannot be trusted at all. That said they may now have a buyer willing to pay more for your particular plot and have gazumped you in the hope they you will pay more or pull out.

Hopefully you haven't used their choice of solicitor yet which would be a massive mistake if you do go ahead. Also ensure the home is 100% complete and then get it professionally snagged and inspected BEFORE you legally complete if you buy this or any other new home.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.