'"> ');

Author Topic: New Build: Placement of meter boxes - Help  (Read 7500 times)

Antony

New Build: Placement of meter boxes - Help
« on: June 07, 2019, 06:01:56 pm »
Really hoping I can get some advice from anyone with knowledge about property building on here.

I've reserved a new build property, the contracts of which are due to exchange early next week (I have currently put them on hold).

I sold my current property on the back of the purchase of the new one.

On the site where my property is being built, they don't have a show home for the type of property I am buying so I drove down to Stafford to see it, was happy, and happy with the images in the brochure.

On Monday of this week I walked past the building site, the bricks are around 5ft high at the minute with the framework for the front door downstairs and window only just been put in. I noticed two gaps in the brickwork, side by side, at the front of the property. I contacted the building company via e-mail to query if it was meter boxes and why they were going at the front of the house.

On the brochure for the site, all of the types houses they are building have shown on the digital images where the meter boxes are, apart from this one I am buying, this left me to presume the meter boxes were side with the driveway at the back of the property (garden is to the right).

I was contacted by the sales woman on Tuesday to inform me yes they were spaces for meter boxes and had been put in the wrong place, and the spaces would be bricked over. I asked her to tell me where they were going to be placed, she couldn't tell me but assured she would get back to me that day. Surprisingly, she didn't.

The exchange on the current property I own completed yesterday.

I walked past the build yesterday evening to find now they've put two large meter box sized gaps directly next to the front door at either side (approx one foot and around four foot high - higher than the previous two) I was completely gutted at what I had seen, this is the only type of property on the whole site with them at either side of the front door. They are literally staring at you in the face. As you probably know, they aren't appealing to the eye and look awful.

Now I'm paying £230,000 for this house and I am absolutely gutted about it, I've made representations to the building company who tell me "they cannot be moved and are placed by the electricity company".

Can anyone can tell me if this is true or not?
Does anyone know if they can be moved?
Is their placement stipulated by the electricity company?
Every other property on the site has them either well away from the front door, to the corner of the front or along the side. I've never seen them on each side of the front door anywhere. It will just look awful.

Ive raised a complaint but would appreciate it if anyone has any knowledge of this, or something I can throw back at them when they come up with excuses.

Where original gaps were when I emailed on Monday :
https://ibb.co/4SCjhFb

Where the new gap is, to the right of door will be the same as the left :
https://ibb.co/SRR6Fw7

Thanks for the help.

Antony

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: New Build: Placement of meter boxes - Help
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 12:41:50 pm »
There is no reason whatsoever why the location of the meter boxes cannot be moved.
I would assume it is highly unlikely that any of the service mains have already been laid to your house.
The only time they would have to be in the front would be if it was a terraced house as there is no alternative.

Now is the time to complain, not once the mains cables are in the box.
Stick to your guns.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Repton buyer

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 06:26:48 am »
We had a similar query about the DNO cut out board and meter and like NHE said, raise it ASAP.

Ours was placed in our storage room (I say room, it is 5ft by 5ft walk in cupboard) which forms the only storage downstairs not in the kitchen units.

The DNO board and smart meter were placed exactly on the middle of the rear wall, with incoming wires coming out the floor 4 inches from the wall (you can get your foot behind them), uncovered and at an ideal height for small children to play with the switches. You cannot use nearly 1/5 of the room due to these two installations.

When I queried with the site manager at Taylor Wimpey, I was told that was how the plans stated so that is how it was built and subsequent checks with the DNO operator show the only guideline they have is that the board must be between 600 and 900mm above the floor and the homeowner is responsible for safety of people and the keeping the unit from damage otherwise.

Get into the sales office, and insist on seeing the plans. The position of the consumer unit (fuse board), smart meter and DNO board must be on them and will show you where they are supposed to go. Take a photograph and then go compare to what you physically see, but do it fast as once the cable is in, you are looking at £5000+ to move it and you know the builder will wash their hands saying you knew about it from your queries.

Maxell

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:07:45 pm »
The fuseboard will probably be located close to the incoming  supply all electrical drawings will show this and all supplies lead off from this.
Changing the postion would mean new design drawings not something anyone will want to do at this stage.
Most drawings you are shown are an illustration, I would complain as soon ss possible.  Good luck

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 07:16:50 am »
Site drawings are working drawings.
Approved for building regulation compliance and used to build the property.
Everything and anything can be changed at site level [and is!] - provided it complies with building regulations and warranty standards - without the need to revise drawings if it is a one-off situation.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.