'"> ');

Author Topic: Modern methods of construction - ilke Homes  (Read 9391 times)

turbodeas

Modern methods of construction - ilke Homes
« on: February 08, 2021, 10:26:51 pm »
We have been looking at a Linden development, and were told that the house we are interested in is a "modern method of construction", by a company called Ilke homes.

Having done some more research, this appears to be an eco friendly off-site construction, where each floor of the house is a modular unit, and is craned on to site and glued together.... So essentially a modern version of the prefab house.

This set some alarm bells ringing, as I know/trust Bricks and mortar, and always heard bad things about old prefabs. However, I can't find anyone's opinion on this method of construction, or anyone with any experience of living in one of these homes....

Any opinions welcome!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Modern methods of construction - ilke Homes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 06:57:08 am »
On a personal level I would avoid these like the plague!
I would also avoid Linden Homes now merged with Bovis Homes to form Vistry Group.
Not exactly a bastion of good quality within the industry either.
Search online and social media to see what people are saying about them!

Even timber frame new homes are classed as modern methods of construction and what you describe is probably a hybrid version of this.  All I will say is timber burns, brick and blocks do not!  How can you be sure cavity barriers have been fitted and in the right place? (Google this too 'Persimmon cavity barriers')

Whilst the components may be factory produced the assembly on site will be carried out by the usual bodging idiots using sledge hammers and electric saws when parts don't fit for example.

That said Huff Haus, made in Germany and assembled by the company's own German operatives appear to be OK.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

rooney

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:04:50 pm »
Avoid prefabs. That "modern way of construction" is just a marketing gimmick. Trust brick and mortar. Nothing like that.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 05:48:15 am »
Except when the mortar is weak mix mortar and the warranty doesn't not include "Erosion"
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Primus

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 07:50:41 pm »
I built 6 homes using a similar method around 6 years ago.
Houses consisted if two prebuild timber units downstairs and two upstairs, craned into position, fixed, fire barriers installed, roof structure and tiling installed first to get the units under compression/settling and then brick skinned. These were supposed to be completely finished units apart from the joints between units and jointing of M&E at specific designed locations.

Honestly they looked great and went together quick, unfortunately we had issues where the prefab supplier had got the heating and hot water pipework wrong so ended up having to open up prefinished areas on site to rectify, thus benefits or prefab somewhat lost. Saying that though, they looked good in the end with little issues over the warranty period, even won a local authority award. Like and build done right there's nothing wrong with this type of build; after all even traditional builds are 50% timber when you consider floor joists, floor boarding, stud walling, roof trusses etc. As for fire barriers etc these are easily installed and if I recall right prefitted to the timber units so when butted up or the brickwork goes up there there to work to and close the cavities.

If you do fancy going for do your homework on the builder, site and supplier.
Perhaps talk to someone who knows a bit about this type of build. Good luck ;D

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 07:52:24 am »
Traditional brick cavity blockwork construction is not "50% timber".
Whatever the method of measure, volume, weight number of locations even!
Most partitions "studwork" is Gyproc metal frame now as well.

Primus

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 10:33:05 pm »
I'm not going to argue with you over how to measure volumes of materials with you and weather most houses are metal stud or maybe not. The poster was concerned about a particular build methodology and my point is if done right there's nothing wrong with this type if construction and it can even be provide a better finish, this is my opinion given I have built these types of units in the past and thought that's what the forum was for.
Cheers

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 06:37:25 am »
Yes you are entitled to your opinion which can of course differ from my own and that of others.
My reply is only correcting your error in that traditional brick and block new homes are "50% timber" which is factually incorrect.

Primus

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 10:09:46 pm »
Well in my opinion they are or there abouts, when considering the brick and block only make up the perimitter walls less openings, and when you consider the overall house construction you can consider tile battens, roof trusses, studding (maybe/maybe not) door frames, window boards, doors, skirtings, architraves, boxings, pattresses, internal thresholds, kitchens, 1st floor joists, perhaps even 2nd floor joists, floor boarding and so within a traditionally built house much is timber. So ill concede i cant hang my hat on exactly 50% and im not going to sit abd work it out and i dare say you cant either but my point stands that much of a traditional house is still flamable timber and to rubbish modern methods of construction based on that fact alone is just not forward thinking, and that is an actual Fact!