'"> ');

Author Topic: Legal Completion without Home Demonstration?  (Read 13448 times)

Lily70

Legal Completion without Home Demonstration?
« on: October 23, 2015, 02:45:58 pm »
The builder (Crest Nicholson) advised the completion date, but now saying that they would not be able to do Home Demonstration or even briefly show me the property on or before the Legal Completion.

Is it allowed, I mean legally?
Is the NHBC completion certificate sufficient to proceed with Legal completion?

I am confused as to how they expect to receive the money without showing me that they installed everything as per the specification plus extras that I paid for.

Btw, I contacted Brickkikkers and was told that it would be ok to do snagging inspection after completion.

While I do not mind to have one hour (as they say) Home Demonstration after completion I would like to see what I am getting before the builder receives all money.

And, yes, my solicitor is not some recommended by the builder. I contacted the solicitor and they promised to contact the builders' solicitors so that I could visit the property before the completion. So let's see what happens.
I am really not comfortable paying money for something I have not seen.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Legal Completion without Home Demonstration?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 09:35:18 am »
Do not legally complete on this home without inspecting it.
It would depend what is stipulated in the Contract which you have signed at Exchange.
However, the Contract cannot be unreasonable and must comply with the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts
Regulations 1999. It is usually required that the house builder give you 14 days notice for Legal Completion. In reality he cannot do this without risk, unless he has a CML final inspection certificate from the warranty provider. These should not be issued unless the home is 100% completed but this is NOT always the case so be warned!
The Consumer Code for Home Builders states:
The Contract of Sale should clearly define the notice period within which Legal Completion will occur; for example:
"14 days from the serving of notice to complete".

Be aware that Crest Nicholson's financial year-end is 31 October and Crest will want to shoe-horn as many legal completions as they can before this date, whether the homes are 100% finished or not.  Last year Crest lost a Star in the HBF survey for Customer Satisfaction Star Rating. The Company stated it was because of delayed and postponed completions so there is history!  I would be minded to delay completion until November if you are in anyway not 100% satisfied.

There is a reason why you are not being allowed to see your new home before you legally complete.
I suspect that your home is not yet finished and will be a rush job, built to a poor standard and may not thoroughly snagged.

The "New Home Demonstration" is for the site management to show you how the heating works and where everything is (Stop cocks, fuse trip switches etc.)
It is not an opportunity for buyers to inspect or snag, but for the majority it is the first time they actually see their new home in its  "finished" state!

Regarding Brickkickers snagging your home, you are in a far stronger position if your independent inspection is carried out before you legally complete - before Crest get your money!
But there is no requirement that I am aware of for the builder to grant access for this, which is why Martyn said what he did.

At least I hope you can visit your home before you move in. Why not just turn up at Sales this weekend?  They should have a key.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Lily70

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 02:05:26 pm »
Many thanks for your reply and advice.

I was told that the Sales office is now closed on weekends.

It just makes no sense to pay large amount of money for something I am not allowed to see before I make the full and final payment!

I suppose at least I should have the major things (hot/cold water, light, heating) working to be able to live in the property.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 07:47:37 am »
Sales office is closed at the weekends?  This is hard to believe unless every home sold.

You can move in and then have the builders coming back time and time again, you taking time off work, 'trades' wrecking your carpets and contents.  Its up to you, but I wouldn't be bullied into legally completing unless I was 100% happy, especially in the end-of-year silly season.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Lily70

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 12:50:31 pm »
Yes, all flats have now been sold out.

Well, they did not say the year-end was the reason for rushing into completion.
I was aware about the date of their year-end as I downloaded their accounts from the Companies House website.
I have heard stories about builders going bankrupt and leaving buyers with unfinished homes, so checked Crest accounts before reserving a plot.

Will keep you and this forum updated on the progress  ;)

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:45:26 am »
You could have found most of the year end dates here on this website:
House builders end of year dates