'"> ');

Author Topic: Painting a New Build  (Read 100945 times)

Cmoo

Painting a New Build
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:17:00 pm »
I complete on the purchase of my new home on Wednesday and have booked in a snagging company to inspect the property. While chatting to him I mentioned painting and he suggested it would be best not to paint the house for 3-6 months to give it time to breathe. I've done lots of research on buying new builds especially on this site and haven't come across this before. Is it in fact better to wait?

Thanks
C

Philofacts

• Global Moderator
  • New Home Expert
    • Brand New Homes
Re: Painting a New Build
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 07:34:37 am »
Painting a newly-built house   This is a good question and I am surprised it hasn't come up before.  I was also surprised that the subject had not been covered on the main website either.

The snagging inspector is right in one respect, newly-built homes do indeed need a period of time to dry out.  
It is much better if this takes place gradually, over a few months rather than being forced with heating, as this will reduce the likelihood of cracking caused when the various materials shrink as they dry out.

All builders normally use a "Trade" emulsion.  Not only does this give better coverage, but it also allows the walls to breath and dry out.  One major drawback however, is the paint is soluble and comes off if you try to wash off any marks.

There is nothing to say that you cannot decorate as soon as you move in but........
Advantages:
 You can have your own colour scheme rather than "50 shades of magnolia" used by house builders. You may be able to ask the house builder to paint the house in a different colour for a little extra.
 You can take your time and get the finish you want and fill and rub down all the little blemishes missed by the builder's decorators.
 You will have less "clutter" or your possessions may still be in boxes, so you will have less to move or cover up, making re decoration easier.

Disadvantages:
 It is inevitable you will get some paint on your new carpets!
 The home may (will) crack, meaning you will have to fill and re decorate sooner than if you had waited.
 You will be decorating in the winter using artificial light and in the spring you will get a better finish.
 You may have plumbing leaks that could damage your newly decorated rooms.
 You will be putting even more moisture into the air, which may cause avoidable condensation and mould growth.
 There are few special offers on paint at this time of year.
 The builder will be able to wriggle out of future snagging to surfaces you have redecorated.

If you do go ahead now, I would recommend you use a non-vinyl paint and do not attempt to wallpaper yet.

For best results, allow yourself plenty of time, paint in daylight and use vinyl matt emulsion.  
For gloss work, always rub down, dust and use a good quality undercoat and finish with a good quality gloss.
If white is required always use Brilliant White and be careful to use a paint that will not yellow prematurely.
Dulux Trade "Blue Lid" appears to be quite good.
Finally plan ahead.  Buy paint when it is on special offer, rather than a few days before you decorate.
Make a Donation - If you found the information and advice helpful.
The premier information website for the UK new home buyer.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Cmoo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:48 am »
Thank you for that extremely comprehensive reply.  :)
Our original idea was indeed to do all the painting before we moved our stuff in as that would be easier. However that's going to be false economy time wise if we just need to redecorate again once the house dries out.
We may do a couple of feature walls to brighten the place up a little but leave the rest of the painting for a few months.
We may buy the paint now though as it's 3 for 2 on Dulux at B&Q right now.

Admin

• Administrator
    • Brand New Homes
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:09:44 am »
Be sure to buy vinyl matt emulsion.
Dulux do an emulsion called 'Endurance'  it is  a bit more expensive, but may be harder wearing.
BRAND NEW HOMES
Providing information for the UK new home buyer.

KristyJoh

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:47:55 am »
I haven't heard about this before. Thanks for sharing.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:37:07 pm »
Also watch out for yellowing gloss work too.
Builder's decorators using cheap or old paint, not Dulux Trade "Blue lid"
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.