'"> ');

Author Topic: Brownfield land - Inert Waste  (Read 15894 times)

Newtothis

Brownfield land - Inert Waste
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:53:51 pm »
Hi

I am interested in a property that is located on a site that was previously used for inert waste.

I am struggling as to how to proceed given this factor. I discovered the site history after researching the development online  based on advice from this website (thank you for work).

My questions are:
Does the fact the property is located on a previous landfill used for inert waste mean I should avoid it entirely? My understanding is inert waste is non-hazardous building materials so I am not sure how much of an issue this really is.
If I should still consider the property (I like it a lot ignoring the site history) what do I need to do to get comfortable with the risks associated with the site? What type of questions should I be asking to the developer or others? I don’t trust the developer for a straight answer and it’s difficult to find information online. Is there anyone else I could contact like the local council etc?

Thanks
Newtothis

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Brownfield land - Inert Waste
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:38:29 am »
I think the best way to look at this is, which would you buy, a new home built on a site that wasn't used for landfill or a new home built on a non-landfill site?

Inert means it doesn't break down and give off methane gas. 
It was probably landfill from construction sub soil, or inert construction waste.
Nevertheless you will not know how or how well it has been compacted and whatever the foundations (they must be a reinforced raft or piled) there could still be subsidence.

Asbestos is inert, but it is hazardous!

Your home insurance might also be higher too.

If you now, even before buying "don't trust the developer for a straight answer" you should be buying from them at all.

My advice is don't buy!

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.