'"> ');

Author Topic: Wet brick near the ground on one side of the house  (Read 1928 times)

MarkWales

Wet brick near the ground on one side of the house
« on: November 26, 2022, 02:00:36 pm »
Hi, happy festive period!

About 1 year ago I bought a new build and recently noticed (not sure if it was the case before?) that the brick on one of the sides near the ground appears to be wet. Moving through the corner it becomes visible how brick dries out. To be honest there's another house 5 metres away from the wet side, and the wet side is almost always in shadow. But the neighbors house wall which is facing mine is dry (there is a shared driveway in between). Is it something I should be concerned about?

Please see photos attached (the corner, dry wall and wet wall)

Thank you.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Wet brick near the ground on one side of the house
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 10:00:01 am »
Good news is the dpc is 150mm above ground level and as there are weep vents too it may be a cavity tray which riser higher inside the cavity wall.

The damp wall below the render is most likely to be being caused by a dripping gutter due to blockage or a leaking fitting at the outlet or stop end.  The only way to know for sure is going out when it's raining and looking!
In either case its easily fixed if you have or can borrow a ladder.

Walls in the shade also do take longer to dry out but there is no sign of green or moss on the wall to indicate it is nearly permanently damp.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.