'"> ');

Author Topic: Patio falls towards house above DPC.  (Read 3648 times)

Squash

Patio falls towards house above DPC.
« on: October 05, 2022, 05:42:12 pm »
I have been living in my new build for over a year now and currently have a landscaper in to extend our patio.
He has raised concerns about the existing patio, how it slopes towards the house and is above the DPC.

See attached pictures, does this look to be a potential problem?

Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Patio falls towards house above DPC.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 06:36:10 am »
This should never have sloped towards the house.
I am amazed you haven't had water coming in under your back door.

Yes it shouldn't be above or level with the external dpc either.
That said, you may get a degree of protection from rainwater splashing from the render.

I'm pleased you have someone who knows what they are doing. I suggest to you pay them to take it up and relay the patio at the correct level falling away from your home. 

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Squash

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 09:04:02 am »
This should never have sloped towards the house.
I am amazed you haven't had water coming in under your back door.

Yes it shouldn't be above or level with the external dpc either.
That said, you may get a degree of protection from rainwater splashing from the render.

I'm pleased you have someone who knows what they are doing. I suggest to you pay them to take it up and relay the patio at the correct level falling away from your home.

To be honest there's been no issues at all. I think the patio was built at this height to comply with accessibility (affordable housing scheme), but I guess the slope should still never have fallen this way.

The plan is to cut away a gap in the existing/impending tiles between the house and patio, and fill with decorative gravel. We are not planning on installing a French drain or anything though. The entire garden slopes towards the house, but surprisingly we have never had any sort of pooling issues etc.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 01:07:52 pm »
Good luck with that time will tell.

If you get flooding within 3 metres of your house within 2 years, under NHBC standards, housebuilder will need to sort it with extra drainage.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.