Author Topic: Creaking floorboards  (Read 3587 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Creaking floorboards
« on: June 08, 2021, 09:38:28 am »
I bought a house from Plumlife (subsidiary of Great Places Housing Group and Cube Homes Ltd.) in Salford it has had multiple issues and their customer service is terrible!

Anyways, my main point, there are creaking floorboards in the bedroom upstairs near the wall which means when you walk anywhere near it, it starts creaking very loudly!
I have reported to the builders/developers who gave a job number but haven't attended to fix it. A carpenter came round to fix something else in the house and said usual policy is that they will take the carpet up but won't lay it back down for me. The carpets to my knowledge have underlay and are put down using grippers, which I privately got a company out to lay.

Shouldn't the builders have to put the carpet back right given the fact there's a defect that shouldn't be there at the builder's fault?
I know in the past when they've fixed the other 50+ issues in my house such as leaking water pipes, they've cut holes in the wall/ceiling and had to patch it back up.


Repton buyer

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 25
Re: Creaking floorboards
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:09:30 pm »
When we bought our new home (Taylor Wimpey), they were very clear that they would do repairs, but only to how the finished house was when we took ownership.

If we painted a wall red, they would cover the repair with their standard white. If I tiled a bathroom, they would not replace tiles if they had to remove to repair.

Likely, as you said you privately had work done on your carpets, it is not covered anymore to the standard you are expecting.


  • Junior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 65
Re: Creaking floorboards
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 06:00:46 pm »
Yes that will probably be correct   if the builder supplied and fitted the carpet they will uplift and refit. It would be your responsibility to move your furniture and "fittings". Your carpet fitters should be able to remove and refit this at a minimal cost.

Regards Maxell

New Home Expert

  • Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1544
  • Country: england
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Creaking floorboards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 01:19:12 pm »
The carpets removal and refitting are the owners responsibility as it was not part fo the house.
That said the full costs of removal and replacement and any new carpet required, should be reimbursed by the housebuilder.
This is because were it not for their defective home they sold you, your carpet would not need removing at all.

I think what you are not saying is, the carpet and  underlay are one and this has been stuck with glue to the flooring.
If the carpet has separate underlay and is indeed fitted with perimeter gripper rods.
Replacing the carpet should be relatively inexpensive, whoever does it. 
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.